emc2's website

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

billh

Post by billh »

As long as they have funding they don't need a PR machine. That's a good thing, actually. I'm happy to wait until they have something definitive to announce. Well, not exactly "happy" but I can live with it. :)

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Another perspective- If lack of publically released data is an indicator of failure or uncertainty, then Tri-Alpha must be doing miserably.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

billh wrote:As long as they have funding they don't need a PR machine. That's a good thing, actually. I'm happy to wait until they have something definitive to announce. Well, not exactly "happy" but I can live with it. :)
They actually have a pretty good PR machine. It costs them nothing.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

IIRC one of the objectives of this forum a couple of years ago was to get Polywell further funding - it now has that, whether or not we had anything to do with it. So, for the time being, they don't really need us, and for reasons discussed at length, their sponsors probably don't want them talking about the work right now.

Although a lot of us seem impatient and frustrated, in a way couldn't we say mission accomplished?

Sure, let's discuss Focus Fusion and some of the other ideas at greater length if they give us data. My approach has always been that we should be pursuing several parallel fusion development efforts, rather than putting all our eggs in one basket with billions going to ITER but nothing going to anything else. Funding in the range of $10-20 million every couple of years seems to be enough to push Polywell, FRCs etc. along to produce valuable data.

I'm not too concerned about EMC not publishing right now - but I'd like to see the WB-7, WB-8 and whatever else test data opened up within a few years.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Although a lot of us seem impatient and frustrated, in a way couldn't we say mission accomplished?

Rick in fact has praised all the bloggers who have helped raise awareness and get funding both publicly (MSNBC) and privately. Doc B also had a few kind words before he died (private communications).

So yes. Mission accomplished.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

I refuse to read too deeply into MSimon's boldened text. But I want to very, very badly.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

MSimon wrote:

Rick in fact has praised all the bloggers who have helped raise awareness and get funding both publicly (MSNBC) and privately. Doc B also had a few kind words before he died (private communications).

So yes. Mission accomplished.

Mission accomplished?. If you are referring to the goal of continuing research with the Polywell concept, then most certainly it is true.
If you are referring to confirmation and expansion of Bussard's claims, then.......

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Former is what leads to the latter. So it's already something to be satisfied of. And it's not bad payoff for such an abstract means as typing away on a keyboard thru a virtual world.