Polywell FOIA

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Betruger wrote: Their fault was in not giving a rat's ass about PR or following rules.
presumably, with their own money, though, or were they exploiting tax-payers cash for their own profits aswell? Making money out of taxes extracted from innocent people who did not want to give it in the first place is the issue here. It is a moral issue. It is explotation of people who don't wish to be exploited, for the profits of others. The small, tiny concession is that there are laws so that the tax payers can ask how the projects funded by their money is going. And you are saying they shouldn't even be allowed to get that!

JEEEZAZ!... have you forgotten why the US split from UK???!? You are, indirectly, saying that the US is morally bankrupt because it is exploting tax payers in a very similar profit-motivated way to the way that UK did. Either it was correct to say that was wrong, in which case you agree it is immoral to exploit tax payers cash for the benefits of other private individuals, or you are saying it was wrong to stop that, in which case you are saying the very basis of the US arguments to separate from the UK were wrong. Take your pick!

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Okay, so the USN says it's all right to tell the world and EMC2 says "No." Yeah, I sort of remember that.

What we have now is an argument on this thread that will keep us busy until the data are released or EMC2 admits Polywell won't work.

I agreed with ladajo to wait and it's still a good decision.

At least someone will be getting something done while everyone waits (even if the wrong buttons get clicked while writing a post) :D .
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Betruger, while I do understand your point of view I do not find it correct.
In the way I see it what EMC2 is doing is eroding their credibility.

Anyhow, the choice was of Ladajo and he choosed to wait, so there is really nothing more to discuss about until 2011.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

As most all of you know, I tried very hard to very very transparent about the process as I have worked it. I have listened to all sides, and originally my intent was to free EMC2's hands of a navy block. Now, however things have transpired, I can see no harm in waiting a little longer and giving room to EMC to do the work.

The rest of my lost diatribe regarded the idea that if via the FOIA, the results come out, and it is positive, then every freak show in town is going to try and jump on this and take control. In that case, I would rather that EMC and ONR have thier ducks in a row before this hits the general public (and world). I think they deserve a chance to do Good Research, and get Real Results, and not get run over by a stampede of elephants before they are ready.
In my mind, they have worked this long, and deserve a fair shot to drive the bus they built. If it is not viable, then they get to prove that as well in a scientific, not political manner. I do not know if it will work or not, but I can say that my sense right now based on what has been put out, is exactly as Rick has put it, nothing yet saying it won't, but that doesn't mean it will. In any event, Rick and his team have put in a lot of effort under trying times, and they deserve our support for a fair shot to see WB8 to results (good or bad). In the end, whatever the results positive or negative, if required, I will go full on to see that it goes public, but not until they have results.
My predicted paths are thus (It is WB8 proving scaling for net power):
1. It works. EMC2 gets full credit, and an 800lb gorilla takes over the project. Happiness and drama beset the world as the implimentation strategy is non-existent and we go through an upheaval of dramatic change. Talk-polywell is lost to the fog and dust of immediate history.
2. It is nuanced and uncertain: EMC may or may not get funding to work it more. All or most of the data is released. Someone else trys as well to see what they can do. Talk-polywell continues in a contentious fashion debating the physics and science of making it work as well as barbed political battles for fun.
3. It doesn't work: All or most of the data is released. Someone who is stubborn picks it up and tries again (almost for sure). Stubborn folks hang around Talk-polywell continuing in a contentious fashion debating the physics and science of making it work as well as barbed political battles for fun.
4. Talk-Polywell finally institutes a Politics Forum to discuss sports.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

The way I see it going is that EMC2 will run out of funds/end of project, and they'll then say "Ah! We were juuuuust at the point of a great breakthrough and - LOOK - someone's pulled the plug to stop us!" so we say 'Can we take a look at the results' to which we will be told "We need to keep that commercially confidential because we are now looking for private funding"... and we will then never know what was or was not the germane material that kept this thing floating for oohhh sooo loooong.....

And why do I think this???... Because it is the same old story that magnetic confinement repeated time after time, at which point Bussard came in and said 'hah, look at these monkeys, I can do the job for a few million' and then he, and EMC2 have been now repeating the same old story.

Same old story
in the past. Same old story in the future. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again." - or whatever that Tennessee saying is.... :wink:

WHy has it take so bloody long to reproduce WB6 results, these supposedly fantastic results that they got just as the thing blew up and they ran out of money? Why can't we get to know what the repeat of that exercise was, and a demonstration that the neutron emissions were isotropic? We were told once, so what's the big deal with having those results clearly re-iterated? That'd be good enough material to keep me happy for a decade while they fiddle away, knitting these Emperor's clothes?

Nah. I don't buy a word of it any more. It is in the category of Bulgarian/Australian zero energy motors, or cold fusion - also funded by the Navy and, so what?!! I'm sure they fund places for religions worship for their ratings and officers as well, but that hardly proves they believe in God!! All Hail The Big P! The Prophet Nebel has spoken! I'm done here... once again..... this stuff just makes me angry now. It is anti-science, and it is a sign for the end of the Western culture.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

chrismb wrote:
Betruger wrote: Their fault was in not giving a rat's ass about PR or following rules.
presumably, with their own money, though, or were they exploiting tax-payers cash for their own profits aswell? Making money out of taxes extracted from innocent people who did not want to give it in the first place is the issue here. It is a moral issue. It is explotation of people who don't wish to be exploited, for the profits of others. The small, tiny concession is that there are laws so that the tax payers can ask how the projects funded by their money is going. And you are saying they shouldn't even be allowed to get that!

JEEEZAZ!... have you forgotten why the US split from UK???!? You are, indirectly, saying that the US is morally bankrupt because it is exploting tax payers in a very similar profit-motivated way to the way that UK did. Either it was correct to say that was wrong, in which case you agree it is immoral to exploit tax payers cash for the benefits of other private individuals, or you are saying it was wrong to stop that, in which case you are saying the very basis of the US arguments to separate from the UK were wrong. Take your pick!
Fiddlesticks.
I'm not implying anything about anything else but specifically what's going on here, now, with EMC2 and fusion finally working. Give them a couple of years, not a decade or even >5 years, and see if they manage to finally get this working. Then make em pay for the sinister crime of taking people's money to make fusion a reality.

Like I said, if we were having this conversation 3 years from now with still nothing to show for progress other than vague comments off the record like Nebel's, then I'd agree. Fire away with FOIA and the like. But not today.
Betruger, while I do understand your point of view I do not find it correct.
In the way I see it what EMC2 is doing is eroding their credibility.
Fine. Their credibility for some concrete progress towards fusion, if not success. And they still pay in the end for their sins. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Anyhow, the choice was of Ladajo and he choosed to wait, so there is really nothing more to discuss about until 2011.
Yep.

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

Giorgio wrote:Anyhow, the choice was of Ladajo and he choosed to wait, so there is really nothing more to discuss about until 2011.
There is of course another option for those anxious to take action rather than simply waiting or arguing endlessly about the number of angels that can dance in a polywell. There is no rule magically limiting all FOIA requests to Ladajo. Anyone that happens to be a US citizen is perfectly free to file their very own FOIA request if that is the sort of thing they feel like doing with their evenings and weekends.

While I am disappointed with the lack of results from ladajo's effort; I personally have no intention of filing my own FOIA request. I am content let the emc2 folks continue doing their thing in silence for the time being.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

chrismb wrote:The way I see it going is that EMC2 will run out of funds/end of project, and they'll then say "Ah! We were juuuuust at the point of a great breakthrough and - LOOK - someone's pulled the plug to stop us!" so we say 'Can we take a look at the results' to which we will be told "We need to keep that commercially confidential because we are now looking for private funding"... and we will then never know what was or was not the germane material that kept this thing floating for oohhh sooo loooong.....
Precisely not what I'm saying, and as far as I can tell what most others "pro" Polywell aren't saying. That kind of ITER train wreck might be in the making but the evidence simply doesn't outweigh benefit of the doubt yet.
And why do I think this???... Because it is the same old story that magnetic confinement repeated time after time, at which point Bussard came in and said 'hah, look at these monkeys, I can do the job for a few million' and then he, and EMC2 have been now repeating the same old story.

Same old story
in the past. Same old story in the future. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again." - or whatever that Tennessee saying is.... :wink:
So what if he really believed it? He was no fool. The leads he followed weren't unjustified. The WB7 peer review gist ("positive", "no show stoppers") holds all that questionable sequence of decades-long hints and promises together. As much as it still is so uncertain.
WHy has it take so bloody long to reproduce WB6 results, these supposedly fantastic results that they got just as the thing blew up and they ran out of money? Why can't we get to know what the repeat of that exercise was, and a demonstration that the neutron emissions were isotropic? We were told once, so what's the big deal with having those results clearly re-iterated? That'd be good enough material to keep me happy for a decade while they fiddle away, knitting these Emperor's clothes?
Good questions, unanswered questions. Unless you managed to get a hold of that data, or saw with your own eyes what happened and is happening in that vacuum chamber.
Nah. I don't buy a word of it any more. It is in the category of Bulgarian/Australian zero energy motors, or cold fusion - also funded by the Navy and, so what?!! I'm sure they fund places for religions worship for their ratings and officers as well, but that hardly proves they believe in God!! All Hail The Big P! The Prophet Nebel has spoken! I'm done here... once again..... this stuff just makes me angry now. It is anti-science, and it is a sign for the end of the Western culture.
Yeah off the deep end once again. :lol: Time is on our side. In a couple of years you'll have all the fence sitters on your side.

---
Ladajo's post argues the same things I'm arguing to negligible differences.
The rest of my lost diatribe regarded the idea that if via the FOIA, the results come out, and it is positive, then every freak show in town is going to try and jump on this and take control. In that case, I would rather that EMC and ONR have thier ducks in a row before this hits the general public (and world). I think they deserve a chance to do Good Research, and get Real Results, and not get run over by a stampede of elephants before they are ready.
In my mind, they have worked this long, and deserve a fair shot to drive the bus they built. If it is not viable, then they get to prove that as well in a scientific, not political manner. I do not know if it will work or not, but I can say that my sense right now based on what has been put out, is exactly as Rick has put it, nothing yet saying it won't, but that doesn't mean it will. In any event, Rick and his team have put in a lot of effort under trying times, and they deserve our support for a fair shot to see WB8 to results (good or bad). In the end, whatever the results positive or negative, if required, I will go full on to see that it goes public, but not until they have results.
My emphases. Exactly. This is the context I'm arguing from. Now's not the time.

icarus

Post by icarus »

It is more likely incompetence than something sinister that has sent the project into deep secrecy mode. Although in secret anything is possible so I wouldn't categorically rule corruption out, I mean, its a big gray, fuzzy line between incompetently milking it and corruptly milking it.

The argument that things will progress faster in deep secrecy goes against all the evidence to the contrary.

Just imagine what would have happened to the linux (polywell) project if Linus Torvald (Bussard) had died soon after getting the first working kernel on a PC (fusion) and then a willing bunch of boobs, in conjunction with a govt. dept., had put it on ice, under wraps for the next six or seven years.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

This seems to me to be a question of mindset. Some people want to see corruption, incompetence, or ITER trainwrecks everywhere. They want to be given regular status updates every few weeks to assure them that those things are not happening.

Seriously, 2 years between major reports is not a long time to wait on a complex cutting-edge project that is dealing with plasma behaviors that potentially have never been seen before and engineering of a device that hasn't been built before. Especially given that it's a relatively small team working on it, and they don't have extraneous staff sitting around to produce PR.

Especially when there is a described peer-review process going on in the interim - and we even know who some of the peer reviewers are.

Yes, I'd like to know more too. I find the silence mildly frustrating as well. But keep it in perspective.

Once their the time frame they gave themselves is up, then start hammering around with all the requests you like.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Linux and polywell, apples and oranges.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

icarus wrote:It is more likely incompetence than something sinister that has sent the project into deep secrecy mode.
You and crismb are really being bozos. You've been told why the mum is on and it has nothing to do with either "incompetence" or "something sinister". But since you seem to have an evil mind, you think all others must too. Maybe you should go get laid or something and ease up on your "evil is everywhere" quotient.

icarus

Post by icarus »

kiteman:
Maybe you should go get laid or something
... well, what can I say to that? You are all class, pity you are a bit slow on the uptake or I might take you seriously.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Yeah, how outrageously abusive. :lol: Quick, report him to the moderator. Before he calls you a poopiehead or something.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

KitemanSA wrote: You and crismb are really being bozos. You've been told why the mum is on and it has nothing to do with either "incompetence" or "something sinister". But since you seem to have an evil mind, you think all others must too. Maybe you should go get laid or something and ease up on your "evil is everywhere" quotient.
Can you please give a definition of 'bozo' and how the characteristics of this argument relate to it? It sounds fun to be a bozo. That's like someone who is busy but who does it .. more.. slo-owly! Yeah. That's me. I tend to think there are an awful lot of people who are sooo busy in their lives that they never actually get anything done!

And thanks for being concered about me getting tired. I think I will take your advice and have a lie down this Bank Holiday weekend. Cheers...