Polywell FOIA

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Second Update of the day. In response to my asking;

The listed reports make up a total of about 235 pages.

The first 100 pages are free. The additional pages are $0.15 each.

That makes for about $20.25

Let's see, Red Lobster, or feed the voracious wolves here at talk-polywell. Hmmm.

If Art and Chris ask nicely, maybe I will spring for dinner. :D

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I am going to hazard a guess they will determine the material is proprietary and not release it.

Best of luck though, it probably didn't distract Rick's team to any significant degree and you never know. Worth the attempt. I'll kick in if you get anything out of it.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

ladajo wrote:Second Update of the day. In response to my asking;

Let's see, Red Lobster, or feed the voracious wolves here at talk-polywell. Hmmm.

If Art and Chris ask nicely, maybe I will spring for dinner. :D
Please pay. That is a trivial amount for all the hand-wringing head-spinning double-talk time going on here. If there is anything jaw-dropping then I'll refund you in full. In fact, I'll cover the cost if the material you get shows a clear experimentally demonstrated exclusion of the possibility that [any] neutrons seen were from fusions between fast neutral/ion and embedded magrid/wall nucleii.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Makes 10 knots before the barnacles set in.

Oh yeah. My dad's ship 10 days before I was born.

Here is the link: http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/20/09202701.jpg

The USS Escatawpa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Escatawpa_%28AOG-27%29

And the purpose of the picture? To illustrate the slow Navy.
Last edited by MSimon on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Msimon,
Can't see your pic. Would like to though.

Chris, I dunno, I haven't been to Red Lobster in a while...the real drama will be hiding the $21 expense from my wife :roll:

Hopefully they get back next week or the week after with the final determination. I am also going to ask for whatever gets released to be sent electronically, and thus save some time. (Not sure if that would reduce the cost either.)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

My offer stands.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I second KitemanSA offer too.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I got some feedback today from NAVAIR to clarify the "releasability" part. It is on EMC2 to justify (if they choose to try) proprietary information for them and a desire to withhold from public release. This is the final wicket apparently.
The offers to pay the fees are appreciated, but not so neccessary. However, now that I think about it, Art has not weighed in yet... :)

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

To my mind it is just a bit sad that we (both in US and UK, it seems) find ourselves calling upon our respective FoI Acts to motivate anyone to release info. There *was* a time when just asking *usually* loosened the grip that most folks, private or public sector, had on some bits of info-or-other. The bottom line was that they were *interested* in their stuff and wanted to tell others. Then society slipped and no-one felt able to talk about anything for fear of being sued, or sacked by their employers for talking about what they found interesting.

I guess times change and people got cagey, time-is-money no-time-to-spend-on-your-daft-questions, that ended up going down the path of compulsion.

Sobeit.

At least we do have a right to request disclosures now, in this age where no-one volunteers information. I mean, Nebel knows the level of interest here but has never sought to ask the Navy for dissemination rights to maintain a controlled engagement and release of results with us. So EMC2 will have nothing to complain about if it is unwillingly obliged to release things now.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

There *was* a time when just asking *usually* loosened the grip that most folks, private or public sector, had on some bits of info-or-other.
No there wasn't. Isaac Newton was obsessed with discrediting Leibniz, Macy's never told Gimbel's, the secret formula to Coca-Cola was not shared for the asking.

There was that passing fad of Communism, but even they only shared intellectual property that wasn't considered a state secret, such as the price of beans.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

*Usually* was the operative word I chose to emphasise. Of course people are cagey over secrets or something someone else might want to steal, but just plain publically-funded research on an idea whose basics are already well in the public domain? This would have typically produced enthusiasm in the researcher if anyone had asked questions over it. I think it is the letigious business culture that has impacted more than anything - the "shred it asap" culture, "don't admit anything".

I do speak from experience. I used to fire off letters to this-and-that Govt department for info and usually got a polite reply within a few days either declining or providing info for the request. Now I do the same they seem to deliberately hold on for as long as the FoI permits, then very cagely try to release as little as possible "according to the terms of the Act". I mean - what happened to good ol' replying to a correspondent with decency and respect? My description of the current status is an accurate one in my experience.

neutron starr

Post by neutron starr »

ladajo wrote:
Second Update of the day. In response to my asking;

If Art and Chris ask nicely, maybe I will spring for dinner. Very Happy

I'll pay you the $20.25 if someone qualified would digest what you get and post the results here good bad or indifrent. beats the hell out of waiting 2 years
The measure of (mental) health is flexibility (not comparison to some ‘norm’), the freedom to learn from experience…The essence of illness is the freezing of behavior into unalterable and insatiable patterns.
Lawrence Kubie

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Fifteen

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

I'd love to have the info for a school paper, or probably rather an interpretation of it--I'm no scientist yet. Isn't it about time? I can send paypal so you get it faster.

paper's due in about a week though, so unless you can get it to me quick...
Evil is evil, no matter how small

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

kunkmiester wrote:I'd love to have the info for a school paper, or probably rather an interpretation of it--I'm no scientist yet. Isn't it about time? I can send paypal so you get it faster.

paper's due in about a week though, so unless you can get it to me quick...
Another evil of school. Real time is not the same as school time.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.