Polywell FOIA

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think the resources resident via talk-polywell and related sites could reach probably 500,000 odd folks directly. The issue was I don't think I articulated that well enough, and it has to be me that does it as the requestor. As far as the notional target for how many, no idea. I really don't have a clue how they measure that. Maybe some kind of percentage cut on total population...not sure. I did argue that some of the talk polywell followers had their own national reach mechanisms. Their take was that was not me, it was them, and they didn't file the FOIA. The other edge of the blade is I had no issue demonstrating that I had no commercial interests. Where as some of the other folks might.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote: 2. I did not present a credible method to provide effective distribution of the FOIA material to "The General Public". I demonstrated a hoped for mechanism, vice one that exists. And no, talk-polywell.org does not count as an effective mechanism.
Does inclusion in wikipedia count? I would certainly put any pertainent info there unless requested not to.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

And what if those folks here with national reach put you (Ladajo) personally and directly in touch with their connections?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:For future posterity, I wanted to clarify the reasons given why NAVAIR Weapons denied full fee waiver and granted the 2hrs /100pages option instead.

They were very helpful and explained the fee waiver determination nicely. Both on the phone and in the letter. They explained the full criteria required to be met, and then gave the two specific point that they felt were not met:

1. I did not clearly articulate the "General Public's Interest Level" in the information requested. I more so explained (without fully realizing it at the time) that the General Public would incredibly interested in the possibility of success. NAVAIR kindly pointed out that would be "interest after the fact". Fair point, as the general public today knows little to nothing of Polywell or its implications. Educated, they would be, but the FOIA is not meant the mechanism to generate interest, it is meant to satisfy interest...

2. I did not present a credible method to provide effective distribution of the FOIA material to "The General Public". I demonstrated a hoped for mechanism, vice one that exists. And no, talk-polywell.org does not count as an effective mechanism.

If I could have demonstrated these two points, I might have gotten full fee waiver and a "veritable plethora" of project data.
End of the day, I am happy where it is at...next week should be informative one way or the other.
1. A 'net search of "Polywell fusion" would indicate interest.

2. How much blog traffic do you need to generate?

3. Alan Boyle.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

For the part about my ability to distribute. Yes, I think going it again I can more clearly articulate the depth I could reach with the public. But again, it has to be me, not me asking someone else to do it, or posting on someone elses blog as a comment. But to some degree, that point is arguable. Like using Alan Boyle as a mechanism would probably be better than posting rights to wikipeadia. But every mech, and quantifiable numbers reached counts, as long as it is "me" (The FOIA requestor) doing it.

For the level of public interest, ie The level "they" want to know. That continues to be a rub. I am sure, that once enlightened by CNN on the situation room that Polywell exists as an option, a large amount of interest will follow by the general public. The rub is the FOIA Process is not designed to be a mechanism to generate interest, it is designed to fill a need of interest. Case in point, endless FOIA's submitted for UFO's. Demonstrable General Public Interest in little green men. With Polywell, the general public level of interest is "Polywhat?" <for now...>

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:For the part about my ability to distribute. Yes, I think going it again I can more clearly articulate the depth I could reach with the public. But again, it has to be me, not me asking someone else to do it, or posting on someone elses blog as a comment. But to some degree, that point is arguable. Like using Alan Boyle as a mechanism would probably be better than posting rights to wikipeadia. But every mech, and quantifiable numbers reached counts, as long as it is "me" (The FOIA requestor) doing it.

For the level of public interest, ie The level "they" want to know. That continues to be a rub. I am sure, that once enlightened by CNN on the situation room that Polywell exists as an option, a large amount of interest will follow by the general public. The rub is the FOIA Process is not designed to be a mechanism to generate interest, it is designed to fill a need of interest. Case in point, endless FOIA's submitted for UFO's. Demonstrable General Public Interest in little green men. With Polywell, the general public level of interest is "Polywhat?" <for now...>
You have a commitment from me for a guest post at my sites. About 3K to 5K readers a day. Plus I could do an article for ECN magazine - guaranteed publication.

And if it gets picked up (Next Big Future keeps a close eye on IEC Fusion Technology - Instapundit links fusion articles from time to time.) I can see a minimum of 1/2 million. Probably more like 5 million these days.

====

I would go with the number of hits on:

polywell fusion reactor 19K
polywell fusion news 8K
polywell fusion 250K

Plain Polywell gets you into computer territory.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote: ... With Polywell, the general public level of interest is "Polywhat?" <for now...>
I think they might say "Polly who?", being generally technically ignorant. :(

Aero

Post by Aero »

Wasn't it Polly Wat? I think I saw her on "American Idol," or was it, "So you think you can Dance?" Kind of average and not very memorable. Now that guy, Toke Skidsomor, he was impressive. I think I got the name right.
Aero

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

60 Minutes should do a piece on Polywell/EMC2. They seem to like energy stories:
A Peek Inside the Bloom Box

In the world of energy, the Holy Grail is a power source that's inexpensive and clean. Lesley Stahl gets an inside look at one inventor's "energy machine." 60 Minutes, Sunday, Feb. 21, 7 p.m. ET/PT.

tombo

Post by tombo »

ladajo wrote:... But every mech, and quantifiable numbers reached counts, as long as it is "me" (The FOIA requestor) doing it. ...
Do you have to personally do it? (every keystroke? and every mile of carying newspapers?) Can't you hire someone to do some of the work?
No one can reach a large audience without hiring someone, for example the printing press operators.
If hiring someone to help with the distribution would count with the foia people, then hire people here at $1.00 to do what they would do for free.
If you are not allowed to hire anyone to get the message out, then they have clearly set up a catch-22.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The way I understaood it, is that "I" the requestor, have to have an established mecahnism already to reach "The General Public". I can not use the FOIA as the mechnism to generate interest or an audience. The interest and audience should already exist.

Outside of the discussion of getting it all for free, at the end of the day, it seems I can pay the money and get whatever I want...(more or less - knock on wood...) cause I was able to demonstrate the other requirements well enough. That said, we are still waiting on EMC2's proprietary cut they get. Again, I belive I am suppossed to hear something this week on final resolution.

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

60 Minutes should do a piece on Polywell/EMC2. They seem to like energy stories:
I sent them this suggestion almost 3 years ago taking the slant that the Tokamak focused DOE was ignoring all other avenues to fusion power, to the point of actively undermining them. Seemed like a controversial subject they could focus on, even if they didn't focus on Polywell itself. Got absolutely no response.
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

ltgbrown wrote:
I sent them this suggestion almost 3 years ago taking the slant that the Tokamak focused DOE was ignoring all other avenues to fusion power, to the point of actively undermining them. Seemed like a controversial subject they could focus on, even if they didn't focus on Polywell itself. Got absolutely no response.
You should have to claimed to have memos proving George W. Bush had received a huge bribe from Exxon to shut down Bussard's funding.

I hear MS Word is good for creating fake gov't memos...
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

MSimon wrote:
ladajo wrote:News from ONR:
Fee Waiver denied.
We are on the 2hour/100page plan. As I understand, due to me by the 23rd of Feb, focused to the Peer Review for WB7/7.1.
Seven days. More or less.
This is FOIA Launch Control... FOIA1 is in hold at Tminus 9 minutes, awaiting clearance for final sequence... The Redaction Safety Officer is currently in conference with the Information Launch Director... Cryogenic detanking is not necessary at this time per the Information Climate Officer, as AGW is within launch criteria limits...

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Today I rcvd a letter from NAVAIR Weapons. They have enacted an extension for 10 days.

The 10 days is to allow for the releasability review.

The following documents have been identified in the letter to meet the FOIA Request. Upon approval are up for release under the 100 pages limit:

1) Review Commitee Evaluation of recent EMC2 Progress on the Bussard Polywell Fusion Concept of July 21, 2008.
2) Final Report; N68936-03-C-0031; of 12 August 2008
3) Final Report; N68936-09-P-0029; of 10 December 2008
4) Final Report; N68936-09-P-0133; of 13 January 2009
5) Final Report; N68936-09-C-0027; of 1 December 2009

They will send a release determination on or before March 18, 2010.

Edit: Corrected my bad typing.