Polywell FOIA

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

And now for something completely different!

Code: Select all

TTTTTTT H     H RRRRRR  EEEEEEE EEEEEEE  ?????
   T    H     H R     R E       E       ?     ?
   T    H     H R     R E       E             ?
   T    H     H R     R E       E            ?
   T    HHHHHHH RRRRRR  EEEE    EEEE       ??
   T    H     H R  R    E       E         ?
   T    H     H R   R   E       E         ?
   T    H     H R    R  E       E
   T    H     H R     R EEEEEEE EEEEEEE   ?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Nice one Kiteman!

Aero

Post by Aero »

DavidWillard wrote:
DeltaV wrote:OK, let's cut the chatter........

Go for auto sequence start. Booster hydraulic power units have started. Go for main engine start........
Hopefully in 10 years they won't have to use faulty solid chemical rocket boosters and avoid the anxiety every time they say, "Go with throttle up..".
Every time I hear that, I fear another Challenger booster breakup moment.

So instead they just say, "Increase the Boron injectors..." without the apprehension. :}
I don't think so .. Instead they would say, "Boron Injection at 100%..."
Aero

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I am preparing by acquiring extra underpants, and putting some game birds out to hang for a few days.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Aero wrote:
DavidWillard wrote:
DeltaV wrote:OK, let's cut the chatter........

Go for auto sequence start. Booster hydraulic power units have started. Go for main engine start........
Hopefully in 10 years they won't have to use faulty solid chemical rocket boosters and avoid the anxiety every time they say, "Go with throttle up..".
Every time I hear that, I fear another Challenger booster breakup moment.

So instead they just say, "Increase the Boron injectors..." without the apprehension. :}
I don't think so .. Instead they would say, "Boron Injection at 100%..."
I'm hoping they'll say --
"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain. We're currently cruising just above Mach 3.7 at 92,000 feet. We've been informed that Dulles is snowed in and their hover pad will be closed for the next few hours, so we won't be landing to pick up that final batch of passengers. ASTC has cleared us for orbit insertion after we complete this turn for boost alignment. Please return to your seats, fasten your acceleration harnesses and return your seat trays to the stowed position. Cabin crew prepare for boost and signal when ready. Thank you for flying PolySpace and have an enjoyable rest-of-your-trip."

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

DeltaV wrote: I'm hoping they'll say --
"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain. We're currently cruising just above Mach 3.7 at 92,000 feet. ... Thank you for flying PolySpace and have an enjoyable rest-of-your-trip."
You guys just crack me up! That's what the extra underpants are for....in case I pee myself laughing.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

chrismb wrote:
DeltaV wrote: I'm hoping they'll say --
"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain. We're currently cruising just above Mach 3.7 at 92,000 feet. ... Thank you for flying PolySpace and have an enjoyable rest-of-your-trip."
You guys just crack me up! That's what the extra underpants are for....in case I pee myself laughing.
I guess it DEPENDS on what you are expecting.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Salt* tablets might help. And, skip that extra bottle of Guinness**.

*[Edit] Henry Ford ordered the same be given to his assembly line workers to keep them from taking too many breaks.

**[Edit] That's the only sub-50 proof UK*** imbibement I find at the grocer. Correct me if you prefer another.

***[Edit] Actually, the Guinness sold here is brewed in Canada, eh, not Dublin. Still Commonwealth though.
Last edited by DeltaV on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

TWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWOTWO

rashudo

Post by rashudo »

I can't wait...

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

chrismb,

You're right. Americans are just pie-eyed dreamers. We should learn to keep our imaginations grounded and just do easy things, like our British cousins building a car that does > Mach 1.4:
The scientific and engineering challenge of BLOODHOUND SSC

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

DeltaV wrote:chrismb,You're right. Americans are just pie-eyed dreamers.
I've never singled out Americans for belittlement. Quite the opposite, in fact, there are others I would belittle long before Americans. But I see it as a sort of even-handed well-balanced opinion - it is only by exception that I applaud anyone.

You guys are great at just wading into a problem and fiddling with it. If it's called 'computers' or 'software' or such, then you've done well. If it's called 'the middle east' or such then, er, maybe not.

In the case of fusion energy, well... you've caught up recently a little to the Russians and Europeans, I'll give you that. You might even build a fast car one day if you could invent a jet engine. Who knows!... :wink:

But that's what the hanging game birds are for - just in case I have to eat crow.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

chrismb,
Didn't mean to imply anti-Americanism on your part. That countdown flag just had me waxing patriotic.
chrismb wrote:If it's called 'computers' or 'software' or such, then you've done well.
Computers - Agreed (excluding HW designed specifically to run Windows, or having a Windows-influenced architecture, or easy to be hacked by ne'er-do-wells).

Software - No. Changing the 'Wait' cursor from an hourglass thingy to a spinning circle thingy over a quarter-century does not qualify as progress in my book. Why should I have to wait more than a few clock cycles if I'm not doing anything involving huge amounts of data? The servant should wait on the master, not vice versa. OOPs.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

You guys are great at just wading into a problem and fiddling with it. If it's called 'computers' or 'software' or such, then you've done well. If it's called 'the middle east' or such then, er, maybe not.
Wasn't it enough that we fixed Europe, Japan, S Korea, Taiwan... hell, if you live in any country with respectable civil liberties and decent GDP per capita it generally owes something to American foreign policy.

The Mideast isn't really our problem (we're happier focusing on problems in the Midwest). Nevertheless, if we saw the Mideast as a problem as big as imperial Japan or Nazi Germany, it would be taken care of. We're certainly capable, as we recently proved when Saddam pissed us off once too often. Our indifference is the only reason it's been allowed to fester.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...