Polywell FOIA

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:31 pm

There is more news in that piece than we've seen in some months!

What did I say above about the non-profit funds enabling them to bring in outside talent, beyond the original contract scope?

I've always known that Polywells to date have generated huge volumes of contaminant gas, mostly hydrogen. Since this probably came from metal surfaces being hit by high-energy particles, and the surfaces acquired a "cooked" appearance, solving it was vital, probably the essential missing link to good confinement and high reaction rates.

Probably the best trickle of funds spent since 2007.

As for the continued secrecy, I see little change from the "business as usual" condition when under Navy funding in the old days. I expect Rick would love to be here talking, and the clamp-down is sponsor-imposed, whoever the sponsor actually is. That was the circumstance when I was there.

chrismb
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby chrismb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:48 pm

billh
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby billh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:59 pm

Abandoning the patent application doesn't mean they are abandoning any commercial or proprietary interest in the technology. So that doesn't make any sense to me as a grounds for protesting the FOI denial. Companies basically have two ways to protect the commercial value of their intellectual property: by patenting it or by keeping it confidential. Abandoning the patent means they chose the latter approach. Lots of high tech companies keep their best stuff as trade secrets.

zbarlici

Postby zbarlici » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:17 pm

chrismb

Postby chrismb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:29 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:15 pm

rcain

Postby rcain » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:16 pm

not good news, but as many have said entirely to be expected.

'proprietary rights' dont seem to come into it. '...substantial harm to the competitive position of the contractor who submitted the company proprietary docs in confidence' - is a loose term and simply sugests the existance of a mutual 'prior agreement' to non-disclosure.

(perversely, had 'rights' been secured there would be less risk attached to disclosure, hence we might have stood a better chance of finding something out. and there's a reason they withrew the patent application - because there is no 'demonstrable method').

reluctantly, i find myself tending more to the position of Art, Chismb and others; that is, the reason they are releasing no information is because there is no new information, and never will be - the scientific basis for Polywell operation is unsound and Rick has simply secured himself a well paid position, for as long as he can, in proving this.

It is not 'information' disclosure they are protecting against, but the sheer ongoing lack of new information. That's embarassing and again, perversly, it may only be lobying on those grounds that finally gets them to admit it in the harsh light of the next public spending review.

I am minded to say, 'enough already', if it was going to work at all, it would have done so already and the work would be simply in explaining 'how' it works (contrarily to much theory).

Thats not to say it might not prove to be useful technolgy, just not a useful energy source.

I fully expect one of the other fusion research groups to break positive news, before we hear so much as a further tweet from EMC2 or the US Navy, declaring that they have finaly abandoned the approach.

sorry to sound negative, but i feel there are many more positive avenues to pursue. lets not waste our time.

BenTC

Postby BenTC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:56 pm

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:22 pm

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:37 pm

chrismb

Postby chrismb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:47 pm

TallDave

Postby TallDave » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Last edited by TallDave on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Carl White

Postby Carl White » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Last edited by Carl White on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:51 pm

TallDave

Postby TallDave » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:53 pm

n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Return to “News”