Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby chrismb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:19 am

As Principal Grinch here, even I would say it says very little.

If one were to really want to stretch out the infinitely thin, then perhaps you might posit that the experiment has gone beyond 'theory' and it is now an experiment dominated by experimental observations. Theorising can only do so much, and if you get to the point where it is behaving in a way [or not!!] where theory no longer helps comprehension, then it is like the good ol' days of science - get some bl**dy results first before powerpointing new inventions out of thin air!!!!

Helius
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Pollywell Marries Cold fusion.

Postby Helius » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:06 am

rcain

Postby rcain » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:41 pm

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:57 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Ivy Matt

Postby Ivy Matt » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:36 pm

Ivy Matt

Postby Ivy Matt » Sun May 01, 2011 12:09 am

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:30 am

Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sun May 01, 2011 1:13 am

Ivy Matt

Postby Ivy Matt » Sun May 01, 2011 1:18 am

Oh, the link! How thoughtless of us. For all you know we could be discussing the voices we're hearing in our heads. :P Here it is:

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sun May 01, 2011 1:43 am

Ok, that is interesting, though does not rally say much. Still, at least we know they are still in the game.

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sun May 01, 2011 2:01 am

I think it says a lot. Specifically, WB8 is doing what we thought it would do.
IAW with the contract objectives, that is significant.
The only part that is unclear remains the timeline. 9-12 months testing. that means they are thinking to run it until December to March-ish. Fine by me. That tends to fit with what I have been saying about being behind and its potential ramifications on the timeline.

I will step out on a limb here and say I feel vindicated to some degree. :)

Ivy Matt

Postby Ivy Matt » Sun May 01, 2011 2:21 am

It never does say much. It merely provides fuel for endless speculation on these forums. Still, it's nice to see some progress beyond "project under construction" or "first plasma".

While Chris is still asleep (presumably), I'll steal his thunder and note that we still haven't seen any numbers. Not that I'm optimistic about seeing numbers, at least for some months. I also don't think EMC2 is about to break their silence now, just because they've reached an old and somewhat arbitrary deadline. Ah, well.

Fuel for speculation: assuming EMC2 decides to go ahead and build a 100MW Polywell device in the not-too-distant future, is their current facility in San Diego sufficient for that, or would they have to relocate again? Was WB-D the reason they relocated in the first place? Also, if WB-7 to WB-8 goes well, does that necessarily indicate that WB-8 to WB-D would also go well? (That may be better as a question for the Theory forum.) I assume, but it might bear repeating, that WB-8 is not expected to be a net power device.

I'm about ready to feel optimistic, but this is fusion, after all. :wink:

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sun May 01, 2011 2:27 am

Return to “News”