Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Aye.
If so, then they'll just have to join all the other researchers who have been put in exactly the same situation... and who have had to deal with it.... [or not]

That's just the way of the wicked world.
More completely realistic wicked world: researchers know how to dodge, within the limits of legitimacy, genuinely unnecessary distractions from important work.

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

Betruger wrote:Aye.
If so, then they'll just have to join all the other researchers who have been put in exactly the same situation... and who have had to deal with it.... [or not]

That's just the way of the wicked world.
More completely realistic wicked world: researchers know how to dodge, within the limits of legitimacy, genuinely unnecessary distractions from important work.
However, researchers who keep dodging the people signing their paycheck and providing their funding have a tendency to find themselves unemployed no matter how amazing their research might otherwise be...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Yes and that's basically the critical threshold that I've argued with Chrismb and a couple of others is still in the future. If/when EMC2 continues to break the rules, there'll clearly be something arguably suspicious worth pursuing. Right now my bet would be that, as Joe Strout recently guessed as well, it's happening as it is because those responsible at EMC2 are under pressure.

The very least is to give EMC2 till the informal deadline they themselves set a while back - this next April/May.

rcain

Post by rcain »

i'm even more pessimistic/cynical.

i rekon the next we ever hear about Polywell, will be in 10 years time - after the US Navy have successfuly fitted it to various top secret tubs, the chinese or the russians have nicked the plans, and 'unbranded' polywell's start appearing for sale on E-bay.

or

Eric Lerner's team get their first (like next week), and all other projects are binned due to the recession.

seriously.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I'm arguing strictly WRT the timing of public disclosure demands like FOIA.
I wouldn't be surprised if we get even more attempts at secrecy than Bussard dealt with, but don't expect it'd be 10 years. There's too many people already aware of it for it not to be noticed one way or another. Unless this current cycle of experiments fails (esp. publicly) and success only comes from a follow-up done very privately.

choff

Post by choff »

There is another hypothetical. Perhaps EMC2 are very deliberately not reporting to invite prosecution. If they miss another quarterly report, (approx. end of year), that leaves maybe three months until the final report comes due. By the time the law gets a trial in motion might take until April, just when the research is all done.

The Navy wants to take the whole thing black, or Big Oil wants to put them on the shelf. But there's this trial, and Nebel and Park have to testify under oath. They can make statements on public record that the process works, the whole world will know.

Now the only choice is to allow the work to be done in public, for the benefit of the global economy. No delay of four to ten years for the sake of a few new ships, instead a quick end to an otherwise drawn out recession and needless hardship.
CHoff

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think ONR is sitting on it until the research solid as a defense mechanism. As I said before, this is not really on big navy's radar.

I would like to think that missing last quarter was an oversight based in the move and spin up for WB8 initial power. Only Nebel and Dolly knows.
As I said back at the beginning of the Recovery.gov saga, they are palying with fire by not meeting requirements. Government wheels may turn slow on average, but they do turn, and they sometimes speed up for short sprints.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Does EMC2 still have to produce the late report, or can they get away with just not being late again? And, in the latter case, is there anything to prevent them from giving a report like the following?:

"Neutron levels detected in tests conducted in early October were twice that of the highest levels detected in June."

:twisted:

More seriously, I wonder if perceived competition from certain other players has resulted in EMC2's unwillingness to show their hand too soon.

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

JoeStrout wrote:being pulled in two directions — being told in no uncertain terms that he must NOT report, by one set of masters, while the Recovery Act bureaucrats insist that he do.
Sounds feasible. That would not be fun.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

WillKell

Post by WillKell »

It smells just like other things that have gone dark. I just think Nebel is a square guy. I believe that it is as I predicted in previous post (going dark if it shows some results) to valuable not to.

Probably looks like it could work, but to many unknowns. If positives occured, there is every reason in the world to shut your mouth.

This nonsense about just keeping funding going for jobs is insane. The amount spent to date is nothing. Nebel could probably get a better paying gig unless something is up here (for the long term), I don't think he is in it for the money anyway, I think he is doing it because it is what he is into, it is what turns him on (science of this nature).

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Nebel still has his job at LANL, if I am not mistaken.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Skipjack wrote:Nebel still has his job at LANL, if I am not mistaken.
You are not.

deane

Post by deane »

Wow. The air here is thick with black helicopters.

My job requires me to fill out a status report every week. It's a tedious, annoying task which takes time away from getting "real" work done. Needless to say, I'll jump at any excuse to skip a report.

I imagine that the Recovery.gov status reports require significantly more time than my little weekly summaries. I expect that the Rick and his team are merely taking advantage of any opportunity to skip the status reports so that they can get on with their "real" work.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It would seem that the navy (ONR via NAVAIR) is anticipating moving forward in FY 11 with the optional contract. They have enough faith to make a funding placeholder on the official listing for future contracts.

http://www.navair.navy.mil/OSBP/index.c ... ost_id=119

See line 201 in the excel.

It seems that this is not a restatement of the standing contract which has already been executed, but would appear to be a forecast for additional funding for part 2 (WB8.1) in FY11.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Projected Work Location says China Lake..