Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Aero wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:This was discussed extensively in another topic, including the move to San Diego.
Actually, it was discussed under this topic. Its just a few pages back mixed in with the topic wobble ...
Three cheers for topic wob... what was that? So is the old lady alien on The Event the mother/ grandmother of ALL the aliens? Is the whole issue just an intersteller "Hatfields vs McCoys"? ...ble.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Whoa, for a moment there I thought EMC2 had finally located their 2nd quarter report, which presumably got misplaced during the move. :wink: 3rd quarter report? Sorry, old news. :P

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

4th quarter. Think fiscal.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

KitemanSA wrote:Copper at about LN temperatures has about 1/5th the resistance of room temperature copper. Thus the same size coil can be 5x as strong. Seems reasonable to me that 2x WB6 scale windings with ~0.4x the packing factor and 5x the conductivity would result in ~8x the field which is what was required by contract.

Just another thought.
An interesting thought, thanks for sharing. It certainly seems plausible they could cool it for a pulsed run. Anyone have an idea on the mechanics of doing this? Presumably it would require something more sophisticated than just dipping the apparatus in a tank of LN, but I wonder if concentric tubing is reasonable given the the price tag. And were there enough holes of proper size in that WB-8 diagram to allow that? If so, could that mean they have intentions of running the thing continuously? That would seem a logical prescursor to building a WB-9/D/100 reactor.

Also, is EMC2 exclusive to the property? Maybe the tank is unrelated.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

KitemanSA wrote:I was under the impression that the purpose of a bitter magnet was to allow EXTREMELY high fields in a very small space withought destroying itself. Its what they use to get 100T fields, not 3-10, no?
That seems to be a popular application, but it might also be applicable here for different reasons.
Despite the drawback of resistive heating, Bitter electromagnets are used where extremely strong fields are required because superconducting electromagnets cannot operate above the field strength at which the magnet materials cease to be superconducting (typically on the order of 10 to 20 teslas, due to flux creep, though theoretical limits are higher).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_electromagnet

Amusingly, I found a reference to something called Poly-Bitter magnets.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login ... ision=-203
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

TallDave wrote:Also, is EMC2 exclusive to the property? Maybe the tank is unrelated.
EMC2 is in suite #4. I assume pbreed knows which one that is.

pbreed

they are in unit #4 shared.

Post by pbreed »

EMC is in the middle of a row of office/industrial spaces.
They have neighbors on each side.
The big tank is directly behind their unit.

Paul

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

pbreed wrote:EMC is in the middle of a row of office/industrial spaces.
Is that a row, or a row!? :lol:

I think I'd have some angry words for my neighbours too, if they were really suggesting that their device could produce MW of neutrons!!!

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

I'd be worried also, if several MW of neutrons were being produced. A few watts of neutrons equivalent for brief time scales is a different matter. matter. I would still like them to consider the dose and shielding issues.

A WB100 type device is definitely unfriendly to close neighbors without considerable attention to shielding issues.
A self serving speculation is that this may be one of the motivations for moving to San Diago. If they progress to actually bending metal for such a device, they are conveniently close to a lot of isolated open space and resources at China Lake.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Nik

Dig a hole...

Post by Nik »

Sounds like they need to dig a big hole or push up a berm...

TallDave

Re: they are in unit #4 shared.

Post by TallDave »

pbreed wrote:EMC is in the middle of a row of office/industrial spaces.
They have neighbors on each side.
The big tank is directly behind their unit.

Paul
Thanks for the detail. That seems fairly persuasive.

Very, very interesting. I'm going to have to look over that WB-8 diagram again.

choff

Post by choff »

The neighbours shouldn't need worry unless the experiment proves far more successful than anticipated with output scaling to 13th power of radius, in which case all our future energy problems are well in hand, and San Diego gets wiped out.
CHoff

choff

Post by choff »

I just wonder if the neighbours actually have a clue about the company that moved in next door or its unusual name. Did they have to sign a non-disclosure too, are they wondering whats in the tank out back, or did they happen to see a strange looking device out of science fiction from a half open doorway. Maybe they get a little bit nervous looking at all that high voltage equipment coming through the door. If they get nuked of course, its proof of concept.
CHoff

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

It's all good. Neutron-activated neighbors will draw media attention, which will bring in the venture capitalists. Rick will have to point out that neutrons for pB11 will be far less than for the initial DD fusion.

pbreed

Had to drive down that road again...

Post by pbreed »

The are in suite #4, suite #3 is empty and suite #4 looks like it has some kind of wholesaler. The Dewar is LN2 it is at least 4' in diameter and 8' tall.