Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

D Tibbets wrote:
Three Universities that might be positioned to pursue Polywell research is U. Wisconson at Urbana (?) - lots of Fusor work., University of Illinois at at Rochester (?)- look up George Miley as he may have been one of the reviewers for WB7, and some University in Florida.
For that matter Kansas State has a group studying alternate fusion. Several of them have volunteered at LPP (Dense Plasma Focus).
Then there is the FRC research at University of Washington (State?)

Dan Tibbets
I dont know... I just feel like since EMC2 isnt releasing anything, any research done elsewhere seem like they're doing work behind them in parallel, which to me isnt as productive as I think it ought to be. My original plan is to simply get a good education near the company and go work with them as soon as any major news comes out. Whatever tho... It just seem to me the interest in polywell by these individual groups seem to be the hope that it could work, because there seem to be progress happening at EMC2. That's not good enough... in my opinion. I would rather go work for them directly if i ever get the chance to.

My impression is that Wisconson is too hard to get into, my grades are good, but not top good. Same goes for UCSD, I was thinking about applying there. Illinois I havent check yet. Whatever though, I guess it doesnt really matter now so much the location of my graduate school, as long as i get a good education.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

jsbiff

Post by jsbiff »

@Robthebob: Have you looked at the University of Cincinnati? I honestly don't know if they have what you are looking for, but they have a very good engineering college, which has an "Energy" program/department which includes nuclear engineering (I believe).

I don't know if they have anyone working on fusion - they might focus on 'conventional' fission reactor technology. But, it might be worth considering Cinci, if you haven't yet.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

D Tibbets wrote:Three Universities that might be positioned to pursue Polywell research is U. Wisconson at Urbana (?) -
Dan Tibbets
First: "piratical design". Engineering Talk Like A Pirate Day?

Second:

U. Wisconsin - Madison.
U. Illinois Champaign/Urbana

And on a personal note: #1 daughter is a second year chemical engineering student at Champaign/Urbana.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

MSimon wrote:
D Tibbets wrote:Three Universities that might be positioned to pursue Polywell research is U. Wisconson at Urbana (?) -
Dan Tibbets
First: "piratical design". Engineering Talk Like A Pirate Day?

Second:

U. Wisconsin - Madison.
U. Illinois Champaign/Urbana

And on a personal note: #1 daughter is a second year chemical engineering student at Champaign/Urbana.
Thanks for the clarification.

My spelling is generally so bad, the spell checker is often not cleaver enough to figure out what I mean instead of what I say. :wink:

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

New recovery.gov posting is up.
First Plasma was 1 Nov 2010.
Rick Nebel is not listed as lead officer now. Park has it.

Progress. :D

Roger

Post by Roger »

I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

icarus

Post by icarus »

Progress.
In what sense exactly?

They had plasma 15 years ago also.

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

icarus wrote:
Progress.
In what sense exactly?

They had plasma 15 years ago also.
True. However this is first plasma for the shiny new WB-8. We now know they have built the thing and the shiny new WB-8 made some plasma without blowing up. Presumably, like its forerunners, it is producing some nuclear fusion. With luck, it is currently providing the data needed to demonstrate how fusion scales with machine size and field strength. Perhaps somebody already knows if the polywell when fully scaled up will produce Q < 1 or Q > 1 or Q > 25, or whatever. And they know if a fully scaled up machine will require a 1.5 meter^2 cube or a 130 meter ^2 cube. etc.

Of course, us fan boys learn bupkis beyond the fact that they made a machine and spent money to do it.

Maui

Post by Maui »

ladajo wrote:Rick Nebel is not listed as lead officer now. Park has it.
What do you make of this?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Rick has been "volunteered" into the Stargate program to produce a power supply for Alpha Base.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Uhm, was Rick Nebel ever the "CEO" of EMC2?
I thought he was just the leader of the research effort.
A CEO takes care of the business side of things, not the research.
I would think that Richard Nebel has other things to do than the tons of paper work involved with running a company like EMC2.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Maui wrote:
ladajo wrote:Rick Nebel is not listed as lead officer now. Park has it.
What do you make of this?
Sounds like Dolly has finally retired. Tom L?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Perhaps Dr.P. is just at the top of the list of the top five officers. Maybe they just wanted to suggest a LOWER top salery without changing anything. Maybe the list was sorted by zipcode this time! :lol:

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

Is it just me or does that seem off schedule?

I thought first plasma had happened in April 2010 (and perhaps one or two firings did), but then the move happened.

What does this mean for the schedule? Are they on an accelerated testing schedule and will still be done and know scaling around April of this year, or will they file for some sort of funding extension and not be done until one year after first plasma (which seemed to be the first ideal plan)?

First plasma is great though, my greatest congratulations to them.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

bennmann wrote:Is it just me or does that seem off schedule?

I thought first plasma had happened in April 2010 (and perhaps one or two firings did), but then the move happened.
No. The machine was due for delivery 30 Apr 2010. I choose to interpret this as the windings/casings, not the installation, power supply, etc. that goes along with it. Final results are contratually due 30 Apr 2011. They can still make it. :wink: