Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

rcain

Post by rcain »

whichever path the US Navy itself decides to take Polywell (whether 'black','grey','red' or whatever), or even if it decides to just bin/mothball the project, i hope that they do the 'right thing' with the data/knowledge they have gained to date. In particular, whatever happens, i would like to see:

a) some sort of 'policy' statement/commitment from the Navy on what to release and when and to whom.
b) actual 'release' of scientific information (under the Intl. Fusion Treaty perhaps?)
c) possible 'collaborative branch' of the Polywell project with funding engaged (if its showing positive results), to the non-military public sector/public domain (collective commons).

whether the (final) results look good or bad for Polwell, it is TOO important to keep wholly under wraps. there has to be a chance for the 'rest of humanity' to catch up,or alternatively, not waste their time repeating past mistakes, whatever their 'colour'.

i wonder if these things (wishes) are even technically (administratively) possible. But this is America we are talking about and Americans are like to prove that according to The Constitution 'anything is possible'.

what are your thoughts?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

rcain wrote:whichever path the US Navy itself decides to take Polywell (whether 'black','grey','red' or whatever), or even if it decides to just bin/mothball the project, i hope that they do the 'right thing' with the data/knowledge they have gained to date. In particular, whatever happens, i would like to see:

a) some sort of 'policy' statement/commitment from the Navy on what to release and when and to whom.
b) actual 'release' of scientific information (under the Intl. Fusion Treaty perhaps?)
c) possible 'collaborative branch' of the Polywell project with funding engaged (if its showing positive results), to the non-military public sector/public domain (collective commons).

whether the (final) results look good or bad for Polwell, it is TOO important to keep wholly under wraps. there has to be a chance for the 'rest of humanity' to catch up,or alternatively, not waste their time repeating past mistakes, whatever their 'colour'.

i wonder if these things (wishes) are even technically (administratively) possible. But this is America we are talking about and Americans are like to prove that according to The Constitution 'anything is possible'.

what are your thoughts?
If it works the Navy grip on information will get tighter. Until it gets installed on a ship. It will give the Navy a few years head start.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

icarus

Post by icarus »

Heh, can just see the Navy powering around the globe at great speed in fusion-powered rigs while the plebes suffer quietly with wood-stoves, belching coal plants and nuclear waste products for decades.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Just in case you thought we were kidding.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:Just in case you thought we were kidding.
You have the conn.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Someone's set throttle to "orgasmic"

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:
Who cares. If that's what it takes to keep FOIA request from spoiling "grey", would you do differently from what the Navy asks?
Quite honestly, I dont think that this is such a great thing. This research is to important to be kept a secret.
There is nothing to keep you from raising funds and duplicating the research. The patents have run out.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I have my own proprietary tea cup, including adobe readable generic tea leaves. Based on my read, Park is doing his best to dribble out progress insight by keeping the .gov reporting site active. My optimistic final report narrative are the words, "Testing performed as contracted and deliverables completed." That way no one will have a clue until the power units are dropped in to the Navy ships and boats and buss bar connections properly torqued.

Of course when 20 mule team borax wagon pulls up to fuel the fleet, that might get confused with the laundry service.

Imagine journalist confusion, those guys don't even do their own laundry (except Alan Boyles).

Best regards
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Where do you load the borax on these?

I love Berkey's work, too bad he has passed away.
The most famous guy in SF art IMO.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Uh, COB, where do we put this fuel?

It goes next to the laundry room....

Best regards
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah, he is great. If you are a fan of scifi art, you should also check out the works of Johnny Bruck. He did the covers for my favorite scifi novel series, one every week... and then did other projects too. Totally crazy!
He unfortunately passed away quite a while ago too :(

TallDave

Re: EMC2 update

Post by TallDave »

ABoyle wrote:
choff wrote:Maybe Alan Boyle can get another interview with Dr. Park?
I'll give it a go :wink:
Best of luck!

We've come a long way from the WB-6 days.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Skipjack wrote:
Yeah, he is great. If you are a fan of scifi art, you should also check out the works of Johnny Bruck. He did the covers for my favorite scifi novel series, one every week... and then did other projects too. Totally crazy!
He unfortunately passed away quite a while ago too :(
Thanks, will do, I don't recognize the name.

MSimon

Re: EMC2 update

Post by MSimon »

TallDave wrote:
ABoyle wrote:
choff wrote:Maybe Alan Boyle can get another interview with Dr. Park?
I'll give it a go :wink:
Best of luck!

We've come a long way from the WB-6 days.
That was the depth of the Depression for me. And also a high point when I got an e-mail from Doc B (as I recall you were in there too). Also fun was having Tom Ligon teaching me (and a lot of other folks) Polywell on NASA spaceflight. Now we have quite a gang here. Maybe in 10 years (Maker willing) we can have a meet up. Including all our "new" friends.