Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

ladajo wrote:There were comments made earlier in the former discussing Polywell being mentioned at a navy ship engineering conference. As I understand, this in fact did not happen.
You mean this?
viewtopic.php?t=2454

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes, but neither John Pazik nor Lynn Peterson commented on Polywell at the conference.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

So was there no such mention at all at that meeting, or was it someone else that spoke about it?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

No mention at all.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

ladajo wrote:Yes, but neither John Pazik nor Lynn Peterson commented on Polywell at the conference.
I assume you are countering the hearsay evidence originally presented. If you are countering this with authority, please provide your source.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

If the Top Men are ignorant, well I consider that a problem.

The only solution to ignorance is communication and education.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/Re ... qtr=2010Q3
WB8 is fully under construction, progress made on Theoretical modeling of the Polywell.
Oh, is that all? :roll:

The missing quarter still appears to be missing.

EDIT: Okay, maybe not all. 10 jobs created (up from 6 in 2010Q1), including 2 full-time physicists. $3,178,627 spent (up from $1,811,807 in 2010Q1). And project is now more than 50% completed.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Also gives project location as Brown Deer rd. in San Diego.
Street view of same

Maui

Post by Maui »

Betruger wrote:Also gives project location as Brown Deer rd. in San Diego.
Street view of same
Doesn't it seem likely that's just the address of the person that filed the paperwork? That doesn't seem to be the type of building where you would build it.

Aero

Post by Aero »

The zip code, 92121, puts it in the Miramar area of commercial and light industrial facilities. It's not far from NAS Miramar. That should show up on Google Earth.
Aero

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Maui wrote: Doesn't it seem likely that's just the address of the person that filed the paperwork? That doesn't seem to be the type of building where you would build it.
It could be, that's what I thought as well. It shouldn't be hard to find out for sure.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

It indeed could be the office address. The lab may be anywhere. This is still a distance from China Lake, but much closer than Santa Fa. I think that up to WB6, EMC2 was based in San Diego. How or why they ended up in New Mexico is a mystery, except that it may have had something to do with finances,tax laws, and the movements of the president of the company.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Aero

Post by Aero »

I knocked around in that neighborhood for over 30 years. It's mostly high tech laboratories, small machine shops, generally small industrial although there are some big names in the area too. (Cisco has a facility just south of there.) It is an ideal area to construct a BFR, IMO.

As to why Dr. Bussard would move his operation to Santa Fe? I would speculate that the cost of doing business may have played a role. Unless you've got a solid contract you can't afford the rent in that area. But if you do have a good contract and need to hire top people, the opportunity to live and work in that area will draw them. All you have to do is offer a competitive package and finance an interview trip to your San Diego site.
Aero

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

NAS Miramar is now MCAS Miramar.

As for the address, it appears to be a business park. Looks like they have a warehouse to play around in.

Regarding the move to New Mexico, it's not just because Nebel was at Los Alamos? I wasn't following Polywell then, so I'm not sure.

Aero

Post by Aero »

I'd be interested in finding out more about these guys:
Description of Jobs Created 2 full time physicists hired.
What universities did they attend, what have they published? There are a few students that post here who might be interested, too. In particular, when I worked at General Dynamics, I, with the help of my thesis professor, brought two senior students from my college to work one summer on my project. (Of course management did the paperwork.) If a person transferred to the right university and was just a little pushy, maybe he/she could do a summer internship at EMC2. If I were just a few decades younger I might consider it myself. Even without the internship though, attending the right university physics department would give a strong leg up toward getting a job doing related work in the field.

On thinking further, I speculate that there is a good chance that Dr. Nebel or Dr. Park found them as graduates of their own schools.

Edit: Yes, the Marines did take over Miramar from the Navy about the same time they closed El Toro and NTC San Diego.
Aero