Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

mvanwink5 wrote:May I suggest, please leave Rossi off this thread?
Best regards
You are perfectly right. My apologies.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

You are perfectly right. My apologies.
no need to apologize, wasnt you, who started it.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I'm looking forward to the new Boyle interview. Even when we get no real hard facts, there's at least a well written first hand report instead of our tea leaves and inferences from legalese and so on.

bennmann

Re: EMC2 update

Post by bennmann »

ABoyle wrote:
choff wrote:Maybe Alan Boyle can get another interview with Dr. Park?
I'll give it a go :wink:
I just did a little dance and hand waving in my chair out of excitement.

Perhaps Park will let slip that they have already fused boron - it's very possible. I have high hopes of an interview.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Alan Boyle just posted a fusion update on Cosmic Log. It mentions the latest Recovery.org update, but has no quotes from Dr. Park or anyone else from EMC2 or the U.S. Navy. I wonder if that means Dr. Park declined to be interviewed at this time. It also says the experiments are continuing in New Mexico. :?
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Alan Boyle wrote:In the past, leaders of the EMC2 team have told me that their aim is to build a 100-megawatt demonstration reactor. Nowadays, EMC2 is more close-mouthed about their progress, primarily because that's the way the Navy wants it.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Maybe EMC2 is in the middle of critical testing and old news + recent published 500 plasma shots is the most that can be said until.......

The problem with solar, wind, is by nature (so to speak) it is not 24 hr/day 7day a week, 60 seconds in an hour power solution. No need to elaborate on why, it is obvious. It would be like saying I have a solution for breathing air, you just can't have it though at certain times.

Back to polywell developments and news I am anxiously holding my breath with anticipation.
Best regards
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

Perhaps this is finally the "going grey" ladajo and others have been expecting.

If the Q1 2012 report only includes a higher number of shots listed and nothing else, I think that's a good sign it is going grey.

If that's the direction Park et al go though, there may be a problem with the final report to recovery.gov, as it has to state confirmation of true scaling as per the entire reward and purpose of funding. I wonder what kind of fines failed reporters get slapped with at the end, or what a court would say....

This is of course just worst case scenario speculation.

philcowans

Post by philcowans »

bennmann wrote:Perhaps this is finally the "going grey" ladajo and others have been expecting.
For the sake of someone new to the forum, what would that mean? Are we talking about the navy wanting to keep promising results to themselves, or is it more a fear that the failure of the project will never be acknowledged?

icarus

Post by icarus »

Betruger wrote:
Alan Boyle wrote:In the past, leaders of the EMC2 team have told me that their aim is to build a 100-megawatt demonstration reactor. Nowadays, EMC2 is more close-mouthed about their progress, primarily because that's the way the Navy wants it.
Yet we were told loudly that it was the way EMC2 wanted it .... "proprietary" or some such I recall.

"Oh what tangled web we weave .... " secrets and lies are the happiest of bedfellows.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I actually have to agree with icarus in regards to the whole web of contradictions and secrets regarding the information about Polywell.
It is kinda frustrating.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Who cares. If that's what it takes to keep FOIA request from spoiling "grey", would you do differently from what the Navy asks?

We already hashed this one out. You can fill the void with anything from optimism to whatever conspiracy theory; the only sure facts are what bits filter thru legalese and that we don't know anything beyond those.
Last edited by Betruger on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Who cares. If that's what it takes to keep FOIA request from spoiling "grey", would you do differently from what the Navy asks?
Quite honestly, I dont think that this is such a great thing. This research is to important to be kept a secret.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Great or not, that's how it is.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

philcowans wrote:
bennmann wrote:Perhaps this is finally the "going grey" ladajo and others have been expecting.
For the sake of someone new to the forum, what would that mean? Are we talking about the navy wanting to keep promising results to themselves, or is it more a fear that the failure of the project will never be acknowledged?
Not never, but more like the original embargo that went on for years and years until Bussard spoke and said it was lifted, bringing out the current research we have today.

We have the recovery act on our side this time, so perhaps it's not so bad as that. But yes, any meaningful words from the project heads about success or failure would be forbidden by the Navy until the final report, and even that may be as vague as the info we have now ("confirm scaling" etc).