Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote: ...all gov. monies sourced to EMC are visible, it is just a matter of looking for it.
My concern is that we may already have3 seen all they are required to show us. The award and amount have already been made public. The option may not need additional publication. Do you know that I am wrong? Please?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

chrismb wrote:
D Tibbets wrote:That is a lot of liquid nitrogen. I wonder how many runs could be completed with that. I have no idea what the flow rate of the liquid nitrogen would need to be to keep the magnets near their cold starting temperatures.
Are they running supercon magnets? I didn't think they were. More likely the LN2 is for cryogenic vac pumps, no?
To get 8x the field (required by contract) in 2x the size (extracted from published graphics) one almost MUST use either SC OR cryocooled copper. Cryocooled copper is what most of us think is happening with WB8, IMHO.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

KitemanSA wrote: To get 8x the field (required by contract) in 2x the size (extracted from published graphics) one almost MUST use either SC OR cryocooled copper.
I thought it was pulsed mode only?

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

chrismb wrote:
KitemanSA wrote: To get 8x the field (required by contract) in 2x the size (extracted from published graphics) one almost MUST use either SC OR cryocooled copper.
Depends on how you define pulsed mode. with WB6 running at Beta= ~ 1 for 0.25 ms, Bussard claimed that this was steady state from the physics perspective as the pertinent physics occurred on shorter time scales. Also, since it is not an ignition machine, there is not a runaway process in the fusion rate or magnetic fields, that may require resetting. Steady state from an engineering perspective is more concerned with maintaining operation for time frames that meet some profitable interval that demonstrates a survivable piratical design. The magnetic field management/ heating is probably a minor componet of this. After all wB6 electromagnets were on for up to several seconds. The more significant efforts for greater than ms run times is electron current control, ion / neutral input control and vacuum pumping capacity. The two major gains in this area may be ion gun designs/ and or the larger size that allows for greater ionization of puffed gas before it transits and escapes the magrid volume. I'm guessing, but twice the diameter might result in a logarithmic improvement in neutral gas ionizarion. Also, greater 'monoenergetic ' characteristics of the created ions may occur as fewer of the puffed gas molecules penitrate deep into the potential well before ionization.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

chrismb wrote:
Cryocooled copper does not mean steady state. You just pulse it at a cryo-condition to get a temporary stronger field.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

chrismb wrote:
ladajo wrote: "construction and installation of the industrial capacity freeze-pop unit is well in progress ...."
Is there a translation of 'freeze-pop'? Are they using the excess LN2 for making ice lollies?
something frozen with suger in it that you lick and hope your tongue does not stick on.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

KitemanSA wrote:
ladajo wrote: ...all gov. monies sourced to EMC are visible, it is just a matter of looking for it.
My concern is that we may already have3 seen all they are required to show us. The award and amount have already been made public. The option may not need additional publication. Do you know that I am wrong? Please?
I have found a way to see monthly allocations from the navy to EMC2.
It is a dig, but it is real.
They will not be able to hide the funding. The 8.1 option should also be announced.
Of course the fact that EMC2 does not close it doors by June is also a good indicator. Remember the last end of funding go round with WB6.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:I have found a way to see monthly allocations from the navy to EMC2.
:D

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

You rock Ladajo.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ladajo wrote:I have found a way to see monthly allocations from the navy to EMC2.
It is a dig, but it is real.
They will not be able to hide the funding.
You are a real digger :D

Is there any interesting indication coming out of the allocations?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Just that they are not consistently billing by month.
I think that it had something to do with the move.
It is almost like they forget to bill, then remember the following month.

Aero

Post by Aero »

ladajo wrote:Just that they are not consistently billing by month.
I think that it had something to do with the move.
It is almost like they forget to bill, then remember the following month.
That might have to do with income taxes. Assuming that EMC2 operates on a calendar year and the government reimburses invoices a month late then billing November invoice late shifts income to the following tax year. Of course they need enough cash on hand to handle payroll and expenses but I expect they do have. Of course maybe they pay taxes quarterly ...
Aero

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

It costs money to bill. Say it costs $5000 to bill a month (just a fer-instance), they may be saving that $5000 if they happen to be a bit cash rich one month. Or not! :wink:

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

the reason im applying to UNM is mostly because EMC2 is at New Mexico. Now it's not, just.... fml.

I guess it's good that there seem to be progress, but still, fml.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Robthebob wrote:the reason im applying to UNM is mostly because EMC2 is at New Mexico. Now it's not, just.... fml.

I guess it's good that there seem to be progress, but still, fml.
Three Universities that might be positioned to pursue Polywell research is U. Wisconson at Urbana (?) - lots of Fusor work., University of Illinois at at Rochester (?)- look up George Miley as he may have been one of the reviewers for WB7, and some University in Florida.
For that matter Kansas State has a group studying alternate fusion. Several of them have volunteered at LPP (Dense Plasma Focus).
Then there is the FRC research at University of Washington (State?)

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.