Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Both.

Did not FEL have a power input leap around February? As I recall they hit 500KV input.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:Both.

Did not FEL have a power input leap around February? As I recall they hit 500KV input.
Maybe, but all the recent reports on functional laser weapons have focused on ganging solid state lasers. AFAIK, the FEL is not in contention for ships anymore. ICBW.
Last edited by KitemanSA on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

icarus

Post by icarus »

So you guys just got all giddy over a second hand report of some electron confinement experiments?

Is that a fair summary?

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

icarus, first hand ? The recovery.gov reports are first hand? Second hand would be "my friend saw it" right?

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

hearsay: "they" say it works this way!
third hand: my room-mate said his brother saw it!
second hand: my uncle told me he saw it!
first hand: i saw the thing light up the room!

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

1) EMC2 submitted the quarterly report, so someone at EMC2 chose the wording.
2) The wording said "plasma confinement".
3) Does anyone have serious alternative explanations as to why EMC2 just hired a microwave engineer?

The experiment is being conducted and EMC2 is obtaining results. I don't consider the Polywell concept proven, but in my opinion there is sufficient reason for optimism, at least.

Of course, I suppose EMC2 could be deceitful in the reports. Is there a good reason to suppose that?
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

krenshala wrote:hearsay: "they" say it works this way!
third hand: my room-mate said his brother saw it!
second hand: my uncle told me he saw it!
first hand: i saw the thing light up the room!
Me reading you/EMC2 say you saw the thing light up the room is second-hand info, as far as I, the reader, am concerned.
Ivy Matt wrote: Of course, I suppose EMC2 could be deceitful in the reports. Is there a good reason to suppose that?
Cynicism

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

Betruger wrote:
Ivy Matt wrote: Of course, I suppose EMC2 could be deceitful in the reports. Is there a good reason to suppose that?
Cynicism
As I understand there are 8 generations of Polywell reactors: WB1...WB8 if not considering their variations: e.g. WB7.1
Have you any hard data such as achieved number density and confinement time from first hands?

I permanently hear at this site about scaling. But scaling of what?
For example everybody knows about scaling in TOKAMAKs, by which confinement time increases by increasing of dimensions. And that is well proved fact. And if for example on Japanese TOKAMAK was achieved confinement of 1 s, ITER should have 300 s.

Please provide numbers.
And not common phrases such as "well promising data".

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

4. Who leaves government recovery money on the table just so they don't have to fill out quarterly reports with twenty words on it?
5. Counting neutrons is quick and relatively easy, so power scaling results have been known for some time, why would excellent plasma confinement be worth twenty words if power is not scaling?

The reason for building and testing small machines is its easier, quicker, cheaper, and safer to build and get your mistakes behind you before making the big machine. It looks like EMC2 now knows how to build and test the machines on a schedule, safely, within a budget. The machine is not breaking new engineering ground in magnet design, vacuum technology, high voltage devices, variable measurement and control, etc. The cost for the final product is within reason.

What would you do if you were Navy? I am surprised we know as much as we do at this point, but that is just me. Get ready to hold your breath for 4 more years.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Joseph Chikva wrote:As I understand there are 8 generations of Polywell reactors: WB1...WB8 if not considering their variations: e.g. WB7.1
Have you any hard data such as achieved number density and confinement time from first hands?

I permanently hear at this site about scaling. But scaling of what?
For example everybody knows about scaling in TOKAMAKs, by which confinement time increases by increasing of dimensions. And that is well proved fact. And if for example on Japanese TOKAMAK was achieved confinement of 1 s, ITER should have 300 s.

Please provide numbers.
And not common phrases such as "well promising data".
If you really want numbers, it is simple, go get the financing, design, build and test the device. Then we can say to you where are your numbers.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

mvanwink5 wrote:If you really want numbers, it is simple, go get the financing, design, build and test the device. Then we can say to you where are your numbers.
So, you too donot know two required numbers of e.g. WB7?
Number density and confinement time.
And is beta equal to 1 or much less than 1?

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
mvanwink5 wrote:If you really want numbers, it is simple, go get the financing, design, build and test the device. Then we can say to you where are your numbers.
So, you too donot know two required numbers of e.g. WB7?
Number density and confinement time.
And is beta equal to 1 or much less than 1?
of course wb7 & wb8 beta << 1. It is all about how scaling changes beta.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

tomclarke wrote:of course wb7 & wb8 beta << 1. It is all about how scaling changes beta.
If scaling changes beta should you have infinitely large reactor for achievement beta=1?
When the talk is about 3 m reactor what value beta should have?
As I heard from Dan Tibets and others: beta=1, B=10T, n=10^22 m^-3 for 3m reactor.

Are there possible anything destroying scaling law?
Like TOKAMAK for which nobody really knows its behavior when instead of induced current non-induced current will flow (so called "Advanced TOKAMAK").

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

KitemanSA wrote:
ladajo wrote:Both.

Maybe, but all the recent reports on functional laser weapons have focused on ganging solid state lasers. AFAIK, the FEL is not in contention for ships anymore. ICBW.
I think that the short term solution is the ganged lasers and I know that the contractors are really pushing that, IMHO to make sure they get a peice of the pie. For FEL, it is well beyond weapons application for utility, and it is also potentially way more efficient for delivering energy down range. I think that is what will save it as a program. A tunable laser is a VERY useful tool for many tasks. I may get slowed down, but I do not think it will be killed.

Railgun is another issue. Killing that kills the only realistic Naval Gunfire Program on the table. It also drives up future force costs by causing the navy to maintain for longer its large and very expensive expolsive ordnance handling infrastructure, both ashore and afloat. (As you know), it costs a butt-ton of money and effort to design, build and maintain, as well as adds operating costs to ships and shore due to special facilities, schedules, fuel burns, blah blah blah. I really think that it was a STUPID AND SHORT SIGHTED decision to table Railgun for a Program Kill. Idiots. FEL, I think can be slowed down a bit, without the same long term drama potential as Railgun.
Last edited by ladajo on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Sounds like it all really makes Polywell a valuable prospect. For the Navy.