Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

choff wrote:Think of how much faster we could get to working fusion reactors with competition.
As you wish...
viewtopic.php?t=2645&sid=0c104153e3ee1e ... c475157241 (tongue-in-cheek, but likely not far from the truth)
viewtopic.php?p=71658&highlight=&sid=5e ... 89c5#71658

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

N6893609C0125

Click on "View" to see the Mod itself..

The contract Mod finally posted in FPDS. However, no change in funding (yet).

The WB8 completion date is listed as 9/30/2012
The ultimate (WB8.1?) completion date is 3/31/2014

Hmmm.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

ladajo wrote:N6893609C0125

Hmmm.
Amount: $3,216,825
Award Description: EFFORT REQUIRED FOR THE CONCEPT EXPLORATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATION OF THE ADVANCED GASEOUS ELECTROSTATIC ENERGY (AGEE) CONCEPT (WIFFLEBALL 8). dated may02 2012 so it seems to me the money is there just not posted

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Ladajo,
Original WB-8.1 option was 6 months to build and 1 year to test, or 18 months total for the 8.1 option. This fits with the spread sheet report of 9/30/2012 completion, and 3/31/2014 completion with options. So, it could mean that the options have been given the go ahead?
Best regards
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Roger

Post by Roger »

ladajo wrote:N6893609C0125

Hmmm.
On my phone right now forgive any typos. I click on view and under description of a requirement it says WB-8... not WB-8.1.Unfortunately.

But 21 months .... might seem reasonable... you're going to build E-guns .... then install them..... and you will need a series of runs to get all that nice data.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I looked back at pervious reports and it looks like old information being parroted forward.
Best regards

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

mvanwink5 wrote:I looked back at pervious reports and it looks like old information being parroted forward.
Best regards
They did get a bad review for paperwork being missing or incomplete by the inspector general. maybey this was why.

Roger

Post by Roger »

mvanwink5 wrote:I looked back at pervious reports and it looks like old information being parroted forward.
Best regards
Agreed.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

What's the difference between 8 and 8.1 again? Is 8.1 continuous?

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

WB8.1 is meant to fuse Boron and Hydrogen. WB8 uses Deuterium. WB8 and 8.1 are both pulsed machines.
Best regards

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

mvanwink5 wrote:Ladajo,
Original WB-8.1 option was 6 months to build and 1 year to test, or 18 months total for the 8.1 option. This fits with the spread sheet report of 9/30/2012 completion, and 3/31/2014 completion with options. So, it could mean that the options have been given the go ahead?
Best regards
This is what I am pondering on. I am not sure.

Consider they have had the 8 machine up and running for a while, albiet playing with E-guns. The paper is slower than the physical actions of the team. So it would seem that they have had some time already to work on the E-guns. It could be entirely feasible that they anticipate working it out by the end of the summer, and then pressing on.
What is not clear seems to be the meaning in the difference between "completion date" and "ultimate completion date" and how those relate (if at all) to the WB8 project and WB8.1 option.
But, also at this point, we do not see how much they have been paid and whether it has been applied to base contract (WB8) or option (WB8.1). That, I think, will be the big public tell regarding WB8 results. WB8.1 is only exercised if WB8 showed enough scaling to support a crack at PB&J. That would mean that DD and other lower energy events are viable.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Ladajo,
The group got together already, so I strongly suspect that the determination to authorize 8.1 has been made. In fact, that is what I think, "merited continuation and expansion," meant, especially the expansion part. As infrequent as they get these guys together, I doubt there will be another meeting until reportable results from 8.1 are acquired.

I feel we are really lucky to get this level of insight, sketchy as it may be. Is it for sure we will see expenditures that are made for WB8.1?
Best regards

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

mvanwink5 wrote:Ladajo,
The group got together already, so I strongly suspect that the determination to authorize 8.1 has been made. In fact, that is what I think, "merited continuation and expansion," meant, especially the expansion part. As infrequent as they get these guys together, I doubt there will be another meeting until reportable results from 8.1 are acquired.

I feel we are really lucky to get this level of insight, sketchy as it may be. Is it for sure we will see expenditures that are made for WB8.1?
Best regards
Nice.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Roger

Post by Roger »

mvanwink5 wrote: "merited continuation and expansion," meant, especially the expansion part.
Yes, a good point, expansion indeed....