More Helion Energy news....

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

crowberry

Re: More Helion Energy news....

Post by crowberry »

mvanwink5 wrote:Comparing funding for these fusion projects to the "Nigerian Prince" scam is pure hyperbole, and coming from a Gubbermant funded scientist, I wonder if it might be just self-serving? Gubbermant always seems to get the best bureaucrats money can buy.
Yes, I agree that this was a gross exaggeration. It is amazing how much alternative fusion concepts must struggle with recognition and credibility. Even the spherical tokamak proponents at Tokamak Energy have the same problem:
One blockage to be removed is that of skepticism about new ideas and resistance to disruptive innovation of the type we are proposing. We are just now at the point of having sufficient published evidence to rebut the skepticism, but it can take a long time to overcome institutional resistance to disruptive innovation.
http://www.tokamakenergy.co.uk/about-us/

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Wow, that Princeton Professor sure hit under the belt there. The "traditional" Tokamaks are most accepted approach, but they are also the most expensive approach and they are based on concepts developed decades ago. Today, we have much better simulation and other technologies that were not available back then.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Helion Energy Financing

Helion Energy, Inc., Corporation just filed form D for $21.23 million equity financing. This is a new filing. Helion Energy was able to sell $10.61 million so far. That is 50.00% of the round of financing. The total offering amount was $21.23 million. The fundraising form was filed on 2015-07-06. The reason for the financing was: unspecified. The fundraising still has about $10.61 million more and is not closed yet. We have to wait more to see if the offering will be fully taken.
http://www.octafinance.com/helion-energ ... -6-form-d/
http://form-d.findthecompany.com/l/1991 ... Energy-Inc
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/ ... -index.htm

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Very cool! Looks like they have completed all preliminary tests satisfyingly enough to move on to the next larger reactor :)

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

This is so exciting! I think they are doing great! I just hope that the funding is actually coming together. So far they have achieved a lot with very little budget but at some point you have to just move on because you reach the limits of what you can do at a small scale.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

It was not so long ago that Helion seemed to be the company that wasn't getting any funding. Now it seems like they have all the right connections, even more so than EMC2. Not that I begrudge them their funding. It's nice to see some DOE money going to potential competitors to the mainline tokamak program. Here's hoping for success from Helion or someone else in 2017 or thereabouts.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Oddly enough, Helion Energy apparently posted a news article on their website the same day as the NBF article appeared, yet there was no mention of it in the NBF article, except perhaps this oblique reference:
* The Fusion Engine was designed from the ground up to be a competitive commercial device, yet is based on demonstrated physics, technologies and Helion’s patented scientific breakthrough.
The news:
Helion Energy is pleased to announce the publication of US Patent 9,082,516, “Apparatus, systems and methods for fusion based power generation and engine thrust generation”.
I haven't given it a thorough looking-over, but at first glance it appears to be identical to the Fusion Driven Rocket concept studied under the NASA NIAC program. John Slough is the inventor, and the assignee is MSNW LLC. Helion Energy claims exclusive license to the patent.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Helion is MSNW
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

ladajo wrote:Helion is MSNW
Not exactly but close.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Close enough that you can say it as a "more or less".
Still has overlap with Slough and Kirtley. While Pihl and Votroubek were affiliated.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Helion Energy has a new patent ADVANCED FUEL CYCLE AND FUSION REACTORS UTILIZING THE SAME in which they describe how they plan to suppress tritium production and create helion ions for their reactor. Since they will run in a pulsed mode they will have the possibility to do fusion ash separation between each pulse. They are also thinking of breeding tritium with a lithium blanket and then allowing the tritium to decay to increase the helion production.

This patent has maybe been one reason why Helion Energy has been rather quiet on the details of their work lately compared to their competitors? The document is 22 pages long and quite easy to read. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2015163970A2.pdf

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Suppress tritium production in the fusion plasma but breed it in a blanket?

D+D => T+p , followed by likelihood of T+D reaction releasing a neutron
D+D => He3+n
Looks like unless you suppress all D+D reactions you're going to get fusion neutrons.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

hanelyp wrote:Suppress tritium production in the fusion plasma but breed it in a blanket?

D+D => T+p , followed by likelihood of T+D reaction releasing a neutron
D+D => He3+n
Looks like unless you suppress all D+D reactions you're going to get fusion neutrons.
Misunderstanding of the patent by both you and crowberry, Helion would not suppress the production of the Tritium, they would suppress the fusion of Tritium with Deuterium.
Also, if you read the patent, you will see why the neutrons produced by one branch of the D+D reaction are less of a problem than neutrons produced by D+T side reactions would be.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Yes, you are right. I wrote suppress tritium production, when I meant suppress tritium fusion, sorry for that.