New Energy And Fuel - A Bussard Fusion Update

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

New Energy And Fuel - A Bussard Fusion Update

Post by TallDave »

http://newenergyandfuel.com/http:/newen ... on-update/
The observers are calculating that should the new design layout perform as the old one an increase of power out would come to a factor of 4,000.
Hey, that sounds familiar...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Brian is a regular although he doesn't post much. Saves it for his blog.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Aero

Post by Aero »

The article is very nice, but the author repeatedly referred to Rick as Mr. Nebel. I was under the impression that it is Dr. Nebel. The title, Doctor, is hard to come by and should not be used loosely, but it should be used in reference to a professional who has properly earned the title.
Doesn't Rick have his Phd? Anyone?
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Aero wrote:The article is very nice, but the author repeatedly referred to Rick as Mr. Nebel. I was under the impression that it is Dr. Nebel. The title, Doctor, is hard to come by and should not be used loosely, but it should be used in reference to a professional who has properly earned the title.
Doesn't Rick have his Phd? Anyone?
Yes. But Rick is one of those PhDs who does not stand on formalities.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Aero wrote:The title, Doctor, is hard to come by and should not be used loosely
http://uk.geocities.com/easyeasydiploma/products.html

Mumbles

Six years of Evil Medical School, IIRC

Post by Mumbles »

Aero wrote:...but the author repeatedly referred to Rick as Mr. Nebel. I was under the impression that it is Dr. Nebel...
--"And now we will hear from Mr. Evil"-

--"Doctor Evil, please. I didn't attend six years of Evil Medical school just to be called Mr."- ;-)

Be Safe
Mumbles

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

chrismb wrote:
They do not seem to offer a Master of The Universe. Or Emperor of the Galaxy either.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

MSimon wrote:
chrismb wrote:
They do not seem to offer a Master of The Universe. Or Emperor of the Galaxy either.
They sold out.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Well, shoot ... I have an ABD, maybe I should shop around and buy myself a PhD. It could be my retirement gift to me. But would a Doctor of Science, Sc.D, be better?

No, neither one. Those titles indicate a proven ability to carry on original research, publish the work and defend work in front of a peer group. That work is far beyond the classroom studies and passing tests. I have passed tests, maybe that's why I have respect for those who do successfully complete and defend original research at an accredited school. I'm not saying anyone disrespects Dr. Nebel, but until he tells me otherwise, he is Dr. Nebel to me.
Aero

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

They seem to work in circles where nobody uses titles such as "Dr." or "PhD."

We always called Dr. Bussard by that title because his wife insisted on it, and technically she was the boss. OTOH, she discouraged us from calling him by her pet name "Doc" and we did anyway. Doc usually called himself R. W. Bussard when dealing with colleagues.

I also work under the assumption that Jaeyoung Park is Dr. Park. I could be mistaken. According to Rick, Jaeyoung is doing all the real work of building and operating the machines, and you guys rarely mention his name. Considering how good he is at it, perhaps he is Mr. with a degree in Engineering Technology. I would personally like it to be "Dr. Park" because I'm never quite sure I'm pronouncing that first name right.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

In my humble opinion, it is an ever-diminuishing title of relevance. 'Dr' signifies the recognised act of having added to the body of knowledge, an act that is self-evident when one actually adds to the body of knowledge!

There are now 'part-taught PhDs' which goes to show where that 'qualification' is going.

Show me someone's research papers and it matters not what their titles are. Such titles never even get put on research papers (curiously enough!) so one cannot even tell if a paper author 'is' or 'is not', it is just assumed they are.

Fail to show me someone's [non-existant] research papers and their 'PhD' title is an irrelevance and no better than a 'bought' degree.

One instinctively knows if research and knowledge-creation is one's vocation, so those who dwell on their 'Dr' title are simply insecure, 'externally-referenced' souls who are lesser people without that external recognition. Nonetheless, I have to concede that there are glass ceilings set to limit otherwise good people unless they spout their own trumpet on the matter, which seems to me just a gross vulgarity but is a reality in many quaters all the same.

askmar

Dr. Jaeyoung Park

Post by askmar »

Ph.D. Princeton University, Plasma Physics 1997

CTO of EMC2 since August 2007.

On leave from Los Alamos National Laboratory.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jaeyoung-park/0/a41/152
________
30 rock forum
Last edited by askmar on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Having askmar visit is a rare honor.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

chrismb wrote:In my humble opinion, it is an ever-diminuishing title of relevance. 'Dr' signifies the recognised act of having added to the body of knowledge, an act that is self-evident when one actually adds to the body of knowledge!

There are now 'part-taught PhDs' which goes to show where that 'qualification' is going.

Show me someone's research papers and it matters not what their titles are. Such titles never even get put on research papers (curiously enough!) so one cannot even tell if a paper author 'is' or 'is not', it is just assumed they are.

Fail to show me someone's [non-existant] research papers and their 'PhD' title is an irrelevance and no better than a 'bought' degree.

One instinctively knows if research and knowledge-creation is one's vocation, so those who dwell on their 'Dr' title are simply insecure, 'externally-referenced' souls who are lesser people without that external recognition. Nonetheless, I have to concede that there are glass ceilings set to limit otherwise good people unless they spout their own trumpet on the matter, which seems to me just a gross vulgarity but is a reality in many quaters all the same.
Off topic, but I can't resist. There are alot of degrees which entitle the recipient to put a Dr in front of their name. MD, DO, DC, DD (denistry or divinity(?), phD, honorary phD, etc. While I was in college there were common translations of the three college degrees BS, MS, and phD. I won't give the translation for the first two, but the last was - piled higher and Deeper. :wink:

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Henceforth, you shall all address me as Master.