More: The $8 million award

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

More: The $8 million award

Post by MSimon »

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... =1&au=&ck=

Solicitation Number:
N6893609R0044

Notice Type:
Award

Contract Award Date:
September 11, 2009

Contract Award Number:
N6893609C0125

Contract Award Dollar Amount:

Contract Line Item Number:
0001 and 0002

Contractor Awardee:

Energy/Matter Conversion Corporation (DUNS 939528956)1202 Parkway Dr. Ste A, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 87507-7253

Synopsis:
Added: May 21, 2009 6:34 pm Modified: Sep 14, 2009 2:22 pmTrack

Changes

RECOVERY-- Research Development Test Evaluation (RDT&E) Plan Plasma Fusion (Polywell) project. The Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division, China Lake has awarded a Cost Plus Fixed Fee contract for research, analysis, development, and testing to validate the basic physics of the plasma fusion (polywell) concept as well as requirements to provide the Navy with data for potential applications of polywell fusion with a delivered item, wiffleball 8 (WB8) and options for a modified wiffleball 8 (WB8.1) and modified ion gun. The requirement is sole sourced to Energy/Matter Conversion Corporation (EMC2) who is the original developer of the plasma fusion (polywell) approach and holds the proprietary data rights. The address for EMC2 is 1202 Parkway Dr, STE A, Santa Fe, NM 87507-7253. Award includes an option for a Wiffleball 8.1 for an additional $4,455,077.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

That would make the contract a total of $12+ million if they do WB-8.1
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Aero

Post by Aero »

$12.3 M - That's very nice!
Aero

Post by 93143 »

Very good. I suppose it makes sense that the 8.1 money (which is fairly substantial) would be contingent on 8.0 working...

Jboily

Post by Jboily »

93143 wrote:Very good. I suppose it makes sense that the 8.1 money (which is fairly substantial) would be contingent on 8.0 working...
I think this is a very good contract approach. This means that the project would continue to the next step with minimal delays for approval. I am not clear on if the full results of the $12M RND will be finalized by April 2011, or if it means the WB8.0 contract on, then the WB8.1 later.

FutureMan

Post by FutureMan »

special thanks to the obama administration for making this happen!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

FutureMan wrote:special thanks to the obama administration for making this happen!
I'm not sure they are even aware of it. And if we thank Obama we must also give thanks to Bush for the restart of the experiments in the summer of 2007.

The real thanks go to the US Navy.

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

You're welcome! :D
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ltgbrown wrote:
You're welcome! :D
Honored to be in such good company. I'm a veteran of that service myself. S1W - Idaho. D2G - USS Bainbridge - DLGN-25.

Wittgenstein

Post by Wittgenstein »

MSimon wrote:
FutureMan wrote:special thanks to the obama administration for making this happen!
I'm not sure they are even aware of it. And if we thank Obama we must also give thanks to Bush for the restart of the experiments in the summer of 2007.

Why, oh why, is the Obama administration refusing to fund this?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Wittgenstein wrote:
MSimon wrote:

Why, oh why, is the Obama administration refusing to fund this?
Note: my sig says "Fully Fund". And by that I mean a continuous operation rig with 3T SC magnets (higher fields would be better). Although I may have to change my sig in the near future.

Barry Kirk

Post by Barry Kirk »

MSimon,

Here's hoping that you have to change your sig in the near future...

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Barry Kirk wrote:MSimon,

Ditto, but thinking that the O'Bama admin meant to fund this is like thinking that skeet shooter meant to hit that mosquito. Can someone prove me wrong. please?

Wittgenstein

Post by Wittgenstein »

KitemanSA wrote:

Ditto, but thinking that the O'Bama admin meant to fund this is like thinking that skeet shooter meant to hit that mosquito. Can someone prove me wrong. please?
It is ridiculous to blame him when it's not being funded and then refuse to credit him when it is. He's either responsible for the funding decisions or he isn't.

Personally I doubt that Obama is any more or less directly involved in the decision to fund this than his predecessor would have been, or any other president would be.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Wittgenstein wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:

It is ridiculous to blame him when it's not being funded and then refuse to credit him when it is. He's either responsible for the funding decisions or he isn't.

Personally I doubt that Obama is any more or less directly involved in the decision to fund this than his predecessor would have been, or any other president would be.
The only politician that I am aware of that took a direct interest in Polywell is John McCain. Energy Secretary Chu evidenced some interest as well. I haven't seen anything from either of them since 2008.