EEStor news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

parallel

Post by parallel »

What would be the point of these tests? EEStor doesn’t want your investment to dilute the founder’s shares. I assume there will be a public share offering at the appropriate time. Maybe they wouldn’t even have to do that, but could keep the company private if everything works out as they hope.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

parallel wrote:What would be the point of these tests? EEStor doesn’t want your investment to dilute the founder’s shares. I assume there will be a public share offering at the appropriate time. Maybe they wouldn’t even have to do that, but could keep the company private if everything works out as they hope.
I was reading Feynman Vol. II Chapter 10 on dielectrics. Interesting stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/020102 ... 0201021153

Page 10-2

"...we assume that all insulating materials contain small conducting spheres separated from each other by insulation..."

====

You can come to your own conclusion........
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

parallel

Post by parallel »

MSimon. how about posting the interesting bits? A link to Amazon doesn’t quite do it.

MS say Feynman’s lectures are now available after one has added “silverlight” Doesn’t work for me. I just get a message to reload the browser (Firefox) and nothing happens to change that.

I did come across another piece that does the best job of summarizing EEStor I’ve seen. See http://www.theoildrum.com/node/5557 Add to that Weir’s comment, from my earlier link, about fusible links, that probably gets over the problem of sudden total discharge.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Parallel, check acedemicearth.org and other such places. You shouldn't need Silverlight to get them.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

kunkmiester wrote:Parallel, check acedemicearth.org and other such places. You shouldn't need Silverlight to get them.
Silverlight beta is Free. If you are not using Winders too bad.

Of course if you don't like free complain to MS. Maybe they will sell you a copy.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

parallel wrote:MSimon. how about posting the interesting bits? A link to Amazon doesn’t quite do it.

MS say Feynman’s lectures are now available after one has added “silverlight” Doesn’t work for me. I just get a message to reload the browser (Firefox) and nothing happens to change that.

I did come across another piece that does the best job of summarizing EEStor I’ve seen. See http://www.theoildrum.com/node/5557 Add to that Weir’s comment, from my earlier link, about fusible links, that probably gets over the problem of sudden total discharge.
I did quote the interesting bit. Now compare what I quoted to the EEStor patent.

And may I suggest you buy the books? I have been studying Physics for 50+ years. Feynman still opened my eyes further.

I loaded Silverlight from Netscape. Firefox is a Mozilla browser too. Unless you are using a Mac in the Apple Mode it should work. If not send MS a note.

Fusible links don't help in a crash.

parallel

Post by parallel »

I did download Silverlight and I use Windows XP Pro with service packs. It doesn’t work for me. Neither can I find any Feynman lectures (free) on acedemicearth.org. I have viewed Feynman’s four lectures on the physics of matter, that he gave in New Zealand, that were most interesting but didn’t cover dielectrics. Those lectures left undescribed how the amplitude was actually determined to get the arrow’s angle,

I fear I’m not bright enough to use the Feynman method of solving problems. “Look at the problem carefully. Write down the answer. Prove it is correct.” So, the significance of "...we assume that all insulating materials contain small conducting spheres separated from each other by insulation..." is not crystal clear.

I would have thought that fusible links (“operate in less than 1 millionth of a second”) would go some way to reducing the problem of a crash.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

parallel wrote:I did download Silverlight and I use Windows XP Pro with service packs. It doesn’t work for me. Neither can I find any Feynman lectures (free) on acedemicearth.org. I have viewed Feynman’s four lectures on the physics of matter, that he gave in New Zealand, that were most interesting but didn’t cover dielectrics. Those lectures left undescribed how the amplitude was actually determined to get the arrow’s angle,

I fear I’m not bright enough to use the Feynman method of solving problems. “Look at the problem carefully. Write down the answer. Prove it is correct.” So, the significance of "...we assume that all insulating materials contain small conducting spheres separated from each other by insulation..." is not crystal clear.

I would have thought that fusible links (“operate in less than 1 millionth of a second”) would go some way to reducing the problem of a crash.
The idea is that the dielectric effectively reduces the distance between the plates. It is a workable idea but there are now better ones. Not completely different - just better.

The problem in a crash is that if the capacitor is smashed the current may be flowing in parallel with the links. So even if the links are open it is not a deterrent to current flow in all cases.

parallel

Post by parallel »

Looking at the construction of the EESU, it looks like it would stand many times the acceleration that would kill any human in the vicinity. I assume that the EESU would not be situated in any very vulnerable position in the vehicle.

I suppose there would be some Ford Pinto like exceptions.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Just load silverlight on Internet Explorer. Works fine there.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

parallel wrote:Looking at the construction of the EESU, it looks like it would stand many times the acceleration that would kill any human in the vicinity. I assume that the EESU would not be situated in any very vulnerable position in the vehicle.

I suppose there would be some Ford Pinto like exceptions.
It is not a mater of acceleration. It is a matter of piercing or crushing.

Piercing: force per unit area.
Crushing: "steady" high forces.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

parallel wrote:I fear I’m not bright enough to use the Feynman method of solving problems. “Look at the problem carefully. Write down the answer. Prove it is correct.”
Many (perhaps most) problems can be solved by a six-year-old child standing in the right place.

Feynman was an astoundingly good observer and also very, very good at turning problems around until he got the best view.

Proof is an altogether harder task...
Ars artis est celare artem.

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

MSimon wrote: Silverlight beta is Free.
The first hit is always free.

Whoops, what does that actually say about FOSS then?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Without making comment on whether EEStor's claims are valid or not, it does seem that, if they are trying to scam people, they are doing it in an odd way, both in the choice of their victims (*surely* there must be someone easier to hit for money than Kleiner Perkins) and in their corporate structure (why have a privately-owned company?).

TheEEStory.com has a good thread on why the EESU can't possibly work in paramagnetic mode.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:Without making comment on whether EEStor's claims are valid or not, it does seem that, if they are trying to scam people, they are doing it in an odd way, both in the choice of their victims (*surely* there must be someone easier to hit for money than Kleiner Perkins) and in their corporate structure (why have a privately-owned company?).

TheEEStory.com has a good thread on why the EESU can't possibly work in paramagnetic mode.
Depends on who they are attempting to scam. Kleiner or the Government.

Al Gore works for Kleiner. I consider that a clue.