WB-8 Testing Pre-solitication

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Aero

Post by Aero »

That's quite interesting. One thing I wonder about.
On page 6 - 26 coil casings for WB-7. Should be good for 2 machines plus a spare. Ordered? Sept 2007.
Is that full casings or half casings? That is, 26/6 = 4.5 machines. It seems unlikely that they would order extra just to have lots of spares, though. Still, I wonder if this data implies that WB8 will use WB-7 sized coils? That is, use coil casings that are already on hand.
The size of the vacuum chamber does imply the same sized coils ...
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

They bought a defibrillator:

http://www.zoll.com/product.aspx?id=75

Handy for electrical shock. Be sure to kill all power before attending to victim.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Re: MG insulated?

Post by MSimon »

deane wrote:
MSimon wrote:
deane wrote:The statement of work talks about the wiffleball being "MG insulated". What does that mean?
Magnetic Grid
But what is it insulating, or being insulated from?
Electrons.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Aero wrote:That's quite interesting. One thing I wonder about.
On page 6 - 26 coil casings for WB-7. Should be good for 2 machines plus a spare. Ordered? Sept 2007.
Is that full casings or half casings? That is, 26/6 = 4.5 machines. It seems unlikely that they would order extra just to have lots of spares, though. Still, I wonder if this data implies that WB8 will use WB-7 sized coils? That is, use coil casings that are already on hand.
The size of the vacuum chamber does imply the same sized coils ...
If you know metal spinning half shells make the most sense.

And yeah. I think WB-8 will be a LN2 cooled (evaporation) WB-7 size machine in order to get higher pulse power in the magnets.

WB-9 just about requires SC magnets for the next step up in size.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Now this is interesting.
Vacuum Chamber, WB-7; incl. cutting,
machining, polishing, welding, port install & 2
doors $31,000.00
In that price range maybe they can afford a new, bigger chamber for new machines.

After thought. Its a CPFF contract so "Afford" isn't the issue. Justification is the issue and that depends on what they plan to build, size wise. What are some of the research pro's and con's of staying with the same WB-7 machine dimensions?

One Pro - Can verify the B^4 power scaling independently of R^3.
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:On page 6 - 26 coil casings for WB-7. Should be good for 2 machines plus a spare. Ordered? Sept 2007.

If they were modifying the second set for cooling while using the first set in WB-7 it is more than possible WB-8 will be up and running in short order.
DrN has implied larger. There are enough casings for 13 magnets. The Statement of Work said small scale circular magnets on main face cusp axis. It did NOT say cube. There are magnets enough for a dodec plus a spare. A dodec with the same size magnets has a bigger core. It fits. Hmmm.

Phoo. Just because they bought them doesn't mean they HAVE to use them. But still...

Maybe the WB8 will be a cooled trunc-cube and WB8.1 will be a cooled trunc-dodec. You know, use the first twelve casings in WB7.1 while they build and check out WB8 with the next twelve. Then test WB8 while they rebuild WB7.1 into the rest of the coils for a WB8.1 dodec. Well, I can dream.

============
On a slightly different note did anyone notice a classification statement for the technical data?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote:On page 6 - 26 coil casings for WB-7. Should be good for 2 machines plus a spare. Ordered? Sept 2007.

If they were modifying the second set for cooling while using the first set in WB-7 it is more than possible WB-8 will be up and running in short order.
DrN has implied larger. There are enough casings for 13 magnets. The Statement of Work said small scale circular magnets on main face cusp axis. It did NOT say cube. There are magnets enough for a dodec plus a spare. A dodec with the same size magnets has a bigger core. It fits. Hmmm.

Phoo. Just because they bought them doesn't mean they HAVE to use them. But still...

Maybe the WB8 will be a cooled trunc-cube and WB8.1 will be a cooled trunc-dodec. You know, use the first twelve casings in WB7.1 while they build and check out WB8 with the next twelve. Then test WB8 while they rebuild WB7.1 into the rest of the coils for a WB8.1 dodec. Well, I can dream.

============
On a slightly different note did anyone notice a classification statement for the technical data?
If a different geometry is going to be used I would expect it to be done in WB-9. For scaling you want apples to apples. First you figure out how the machine works. Then you apply that knowledge to make the machine work better.

The data is company proprietary. The Navy gets to use it for its own purposes.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: If a different geometry is going to be used I would expect it to be done in WB-9. For scaling you want apples to apples. First you figure out how the machine works. Then you apply that knowledge to make the machine work better.
Which is why I suggested the WB8 would be a trunc-cube, and only when they want to try for pB&j do they improve things to a dodec.

Phoo. All speculation. Meaningless, but fun.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Betruger wrote:100MW is tantamount to an at least break-even design, isn't it? WB-9 is explicitely designated as "fusion demonstrator". How could WB-8 be 100MW if WB-9 is the fusion demonstrator?
The "follow-on" to WB-8 is the 100MW machine, not WB-8 itself. It looks like WB-8 will produce, appropriately enough, something around 8 watts.
Last edited by TallDave on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

KitemanSA wrote:If it were a steady-state machine at 100mW net, that would be amazing too.
True, but that seems unlikely. At breakeven power 100 milliwatts would be a rounding error to the inputs/outputs. They would probably just say "breakeven" in that case.

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

:shock:

I just saw this. Awesome. Posting on my site, too, DU, etc.
Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Josh Cryer wrote::shock:

I just saw this. Awesome. Posting on my site, too, DU, etc.
Roger is a DU Polywell fanatic. You should contact him. He is Roger Fox at DU.

GWW57

Sony camcorder

Post by GWW57 »

"Sony DVD308 Camcorder - Lab/Office"

To record 'The Great Moment' for posterity perhaps?