ITER Delayed, Scaled Back

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

As for the quote of MSimon's, I have to admit it did make me wonder what kind of enterprise would welcome that sort of behavior.
I had my best years in enterprises desperate for results. Fast, low cost, high quality results. You know - it is usually pick any two. With me you could often have all three.

I excel in situations where chaos reigns supreme. Where everything is behind and getting behinder. Where a supreme effort is insufficient. Where only a miracle will do.

And you are probably correct - no one in their right mind would hire me.

I remember working on a test set that was very complicated and took a 5 man team about a year to develop. Some times if my work load was low I'd not show up for days or put in a lot of four hour days. The boss hated that. But he needed me. Heh. At the end the job was done on time and under budget and the boss was pleased that the contractor (me) had cost almost exactly what he had budgeted for me (a little less actually). He was all smiles that day. Thanked me profusely - which in this case was simply calling me over and asking me to look at the time and dollar numbers. Which is about as profuse as he ever got. What was my job on the project? System architect.

So what am I really if I am not a team player? I'm devoted to results. Which is way better than having a team player. But such "wild ducks" are notoriously hard to manage.

http://www.corpangels.com/blogs/innovat ... spiration/
“We are convinced that any business needs its wild ducks. And in IBM we try not to tame them.” T.J. Watson, Jr.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man.” G.B. Shaw
My mate tells me all the time that I'm arrogant and unreasonable. I'd have to agree with her. But you know what? I'm at home in my skin.

I pride myself on walking into a situation (at the interview - "yeah, I can do that") knowing nothing about the job at hand and producing within a week or two. Quick enough so my initial ignorance was never noticed.

Well anyway. A man has got to know his limitations.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

MSimon wrote: “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man.” G.B. Shaw

Good quotes. Though I'd say of the last one, perhaps "A man has got to find his own limitations"?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

chrismb wrote:
MSimon wrote: “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man.” G.B. Shaw

Good quotes. Though I'd say of the last one, perhaps "A man has got to find his own limitations"?
It was a line from a Clint Eastwood movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZNlraF0xec

"mans got to know his limitations"

Or this one: "A man's got to know his limitations."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070355/quotes
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon,
Yup, those were the published quotes, but I kind of like chrismb's variation on that theme too. Don't you?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:MSimon,
Yup, those were the published quotes, but I kind of like chrismb's variation on that theme too. Don't you?
Some people find them and forget them.

But I'm not adverse to either construction. I just like the "Darwin Award" version from the video.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Ah... The Darwin Awards. To stay with that theme, one of my favorite quotes ever is "think of it as evolution in action".

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Darwin Awards rock!
Lot of the stuff on there is fake though, but still very entertaining.