WB-8 Coming

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

rnebel wrote:It's not all set yet, but the magnetic field will be much stronger than the WB-7 and so will the dynamic range.
Thanks, that "much stronger" sounds promising.

Hope it gets built soon. Can't wait to hear the results!

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Superconducting Magnets -

LHC at CERN use very many large SC magnets, with enormous total energy. The lost nearly a year from an "incident" when an SC connection had a resistance of a few uohm and heated up, boiling coolant, with disastrous effects. It took them a long time to clean the tunnel, and also develop new techniques to detect any future such problems and remove energy from the SCs before they heated up.

But 10H 100A seems very little. 50kJ is not challenging, a kettle on for 15s. And to quench in 1s 50kW peak is much easier than 50kW continuous.

Tom

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

tomclarke wrote:Superconducting Magnets -

LHC at CERN use very many large SC magnets, with enormous total energy. The lost nearly a year from an "incident" when an SC connection had a resistance of a few uohm and heated up, boiling coolant, with disastrous effects. It took them a long time to clean the tunnel, and also develop new techniques to detect any future such problems and remove energy from the SCs before they heated up.

But 10H 100A seems very little. 50kJ is not challenging, a kettle on for 15s. And to quench in 1s 50kW peak is much easier than 50kW continuous.

Tom
Tom the 50 kJ is for an experimental set up - roughly 50 cm bore. Not very difficult. But the resistors need to be rated to take the pulse in one second.

For the large magnets required for a production machine you are getting in the MJ range. That is not so easy.

===

CERN was designed to take a quench. The supports for the magnets were improperly designed. That is what caused all the damage.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ravingdave wrote:
Torulf2 wrote:The emergency energy storage for the energy in the supra conductor may be another supra conductor.

This risk of explosions may make fission-fusion hybrid with super conducting magnets unsuitable.
It is my understanding that super conductors don't like rapidly changing fields. From what I have read, superconductors are charged up VERY slowly.

I haven't read anything which leads me to believe that energy can be dumped into a superconductor rapidly.

Does anyone else know if this is possible, and if so how ?

David
The SC guys are working with 60 Hz AC in motor designs. They are also making line disturbance absorbers and limiters that go from SC to normal when the currents get too high.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

rnebel wrote:
TallDave wrote:Are you able to share any details on WB-8 (e.g. size, magnet strength, changes to the interconnects, geometry changes, etc.)? From your earlier comments I'm guessing the emphasis will be on transport.
It's not all set yet, but the magnetic field will be much stronger than the WB-7 and so will the dynamic range.
Will you be getting a bigger chamber?