Page 2 of 11

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:24 pm
by TallDave
2 years is an interesting number. I'm assuming that means with full funding.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:11 am
by MSimon
TallDave wrote:2 years is an interesting number. I'm assuming that means with full funding.


I don't think that full funding is a rqmt. to work out the essential issues. A few million a year (about what they are getting now) may do the trick.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:21 pm
by choff
It's always possible some different research project by another lab will indirectly provide confirmation, or they just need to do a few more definitive tests.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:45 am
by Barry Kirk
Is that 1-2 years to know if this will work, mean P-B11 or does it mean any polywell?

Should I take this to mean.

1) D-T and D-D will absolutely positively work.
2) P-B11 we will know within 1-2 years...

Or does the uncertainty include D-D and/or D-T?

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:49 am
by MSimon
Barry Kirk wrote:Is that 1-2 years to know if this will work, mean P-B11 or does it mean any polywell?

Should I take this to mean.

1) D-T and D-D will absolutely positively work.
2) P-B11 we will know within 1-2 years...

Or does the uncertainty include D-D and/or D-T?


There is no definitive information on what that means.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:31 pm
by Art Carlson
Barry Kirk wrote:Is that 1-2 years to know if this will work, mean P-B11 or does it mean any polywell?

Should I take this to mean.

1) D-T and D-D will absolutely positively work.
2) P-B11 we will know within 1-2 years...

Or does the uncertainty include D-D and/or D-T?

I would take it to mean this:

1) p-B11 will absolutely positively not work.
2) We will know within 1-2 years if D-T and D-D have a snowball's chance in hell of working.

Rick would adjust the adverbs a trifle, but I'm pretty sure he would consider it a success to have the knowledge within 2 years to scale D-T plasmas to reactor conditions.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:40 pm
by Barry Kirk
Got it.... So, P-B11 is off the table, and D-T isn't even certain... :cry:

Well, should DD be a possibility, would helium 3 be a possibility.

I was hoping that we would be able to skip mining the moon for He3.

On the other hand, would it be possible to set up breeder reactors to generate He3 for mobile reactors?

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:16 pm
by rnebel
I think we have a real shot at p-11B. I think it is possible to beat the Bremstrahlung issue.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:01 pm
by KitemanSA
rnebel wrote:I think we have a real shot at p-11B. I think it is possible to beat the Bremstrahlung issue.
:D :D :D :D :D :D YEE-HA!!!

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:05 pm
by Barry Kirk
I second that....

I've got a couple of questions now...

1) Is it that Brem isn't that tricky to deal with?
2) Is DD or DT a slam dunk then?

:D :D :D :D

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:31 pm
by gblaze42
Interesting!! the only way I would think to beat Bremstrahlung is minimize the electron interactions with the nucleus's in the plasma. I would think that their would be some radiation no matter how much you try to minimize the interactions.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:36 pm
by Barry Kirk
Since, the plasma is fairly close to electrically neutral throughout, your going to have electrons close to the ions...

Unless, the plasma is "banded" where you alternate layers of electrons and ions like a lasagna.

Course I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Is it possible to setup standing waves in the plasma to physically separate the electrons from the ions?

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:44 pm
by gblaze42
Barry Kirk wrote:Since, the plasma is fairly close to electrically neutral throughout, your going to have electrons close to the ions...

Unless, the plasma is "banded" where you alternate layers of electrons and ions like a lasagna.

Course I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Is it possible to setup standing waves in the plasma to physically separate the electrons from the ions?


Interesting idea,and maybe possible, it would be similar to the "wake field" accelerators, where plasma's are accelerated by groups of electrons. The electron sit in the low density "troughs" minimizing the acceleration/deceleration radiation.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:50 pm
by KitemanSA
According to one explanation I heard, it is not so much the NUMBER of the electrons at the location where the ions are bookin, but the speed. In the core where the fusion happens, there are lots of electrons, but they are movin kind o slow. Low velocity, little Brem.

Secondarily, run rich in protons and the brem problem goes down too. That is what I heard. Hope its right.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:55 pm
by rnebel
Nothing is a slam dunk. If the transport doesn't work out, then none of the systems will work. Right now, the transport looks fine. The question is whether or not it will scale.