We Will Know In Two Years

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

We Will Know In Two Years

Post by MSimon »

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... years.html

rnebel
I believe we will know the answer for the Polywell in ~ 1.5-2 years. I haven't looked at MSimons design, but I know he has a lot of good ideas. We'll probably take a closer look at D-D reactors over the next 2 years.
And thanks Rick. I am so honored to be able to make a contribution. Even if it is just publicity.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

Way to pump up his ego, Mr. Nebel! :lol:

Excellent work Mr. Simon, now get that prototype up and running already!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

gblaze42 wrote:Way to pump up his ego, Mr. Nebel! :lol:

Show me the money.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:

Show me the money.
Show me the investment fund!!!!! :evil:
Vae Victis

choff

Post by choff »

I'm glad to see there's a time line, and Emc2 has control over the project, not the DOE.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

MSimon wrote:

Show me the money.
How much do you need?

My virtual world company develops virtual stock market software and were spinning off a venture that is developing private stock management systems for unlisted corporations to receive investment and allowing investors and employees to manage their stock in their company.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

IntLibber wrote:
MSimon wrote:

Show me the money.
How much do you need?

My virtual world company develops virtual stock market software and were spinning off a venture that is developing private stock management systems for unlisted corporations to receive investment and allowing investors and employees to manage their stock in their company.
Something in the range of $10 to $20 million.

I could give you a better quote if I had a commitment to go ahead if the price is right. I have found that without such a commitment it is difficult to get companies to quote.

The bulk of the funds would be for power supplies. With a fair amount for land acquisition and a shield building. So even if the project was a bust there would be left over assets that could return some of the investment.

I also believe I could get the assistance of the EMC2 crew. I am in regular contact with Rick and if you are serious I will broach the subject with him.

Send me an e-mail and we can discuss it further. My e-mail is on the sidebar at:

http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/

You should consider where you want the project located.

New Mexico near EMC2 would be good. An alternative would be the Mid-West near Rockford, Illinois for reasons I will explain by e-mail.

I can tell you that one of the reasons is that it is between two of the hot beds of University work on IEC - UWisconsin, Madison and UIllinois Champaign/Urbana.

I'm inclined to go with standard MRI magnets (3 T) rather than LN2 cooled Cu because the field is in the range (10 T) of a WB-100 type design. The change in magnets would not affect the cost much. In fact it might be a wash since the LN2 Cu design would be totally custom while MRI magnets would be COTS eqpt. modified. We can discuss it with Rick and see what would help the most.

I would expect that preliminary work would take roughly a year. Design, letting contracts etc.

One way to proceed is to get together a design group and just do a paper design. That might be done for around $1 million. Say 5 engineers and a few grad students. The only residuals from that would be a pile of papers.

My main function would be project manager. What I bring to the table is a fierce commitment to bring projects in on time and under budget. Besides my expertise in electronics and real time software.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

If you can come up with 20% of it, the ARPA-E might cover the rest, to a max of $25M.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:If you can come up with 20% of it, the ARPA-E might cover the rest, to a max of $25M.
I'd rather go with 100% private funds on a milestone basis. You can move faster that way with a lot less paperwork.

In fact a 100% private effort would serve as a goad to government efforts. Nothing like a little friendly competition to keep things moving along nicely.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:If you can come up with 20% of it, the ARPA-E might cover the rest, to a max of $25M.
I'd rather go with 100% private funds on a milestone basis. You can move faster that way with a lot less paperwork.
In fact a 100% private effort would serve as a goad to government efforts. Nothing like a little friendly competition to keep things moving along nicely.
Absolutely concur that 100% private is to be prefered. But if Unka Bama is going to steal my $ and give it to SOME sort of energy scheme (and they are, no doubt about it) I don't mind at all having a bunch of it flow Polywell way. I think.

seedload

Post by seedload »

MSimon wrote: Something in the range of $10 to $20 million.
Wouldn't there be a little snag in your business plan of the IP all being owned by another company?

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Patents expire after 20 years. I think the IP has now expired. It's taken too long to attempt to make polywell work. None to worry about.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

seedload wrote:
MSimon wrote: Something in the range of $10 to $20 million.
Wouldn't there be a little snag in your business plan of the IP all being owned by another company?
I believe if that is an issue then licensing the technology is possible. Dr. B saw his business strategy as a licensing model.

What is my business strategy? Get to market first and then sell out to Westinghouse, GE, Siemens etc. Then let them duke it out. Which they will be doing anyway.

There are lots of products on the market that have no protectable IP. How do such companies make a profit? Being the low cost producer is one way. Having a good brand is another. Being first to market is another.

dch24

Post by dch24 »

MSimon wrote:Being the low cost producer is one way.
Since polywell is cutting edge, MSimon can achieve lowest cost because he has lots of the engineering background. (This is why high tech has tended to stay in the USA. Not to over generalize or start a flame war or anything.)
MSimon wrote:Having a good brand is another.
Here again, you've got the edge. You have a good relationship with Rick Nebel, Tom Ligon, etc. If they don't want to be "on the board of directors" (or however you want to work it) they will probably mention you favorably. Good brand / marketing right there.
MSimon wrote:Being first to market is another.
Obviously, this is why you want to move now. :)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Would DrN's contractual muzzle prevent him from applying for other, non-navy money?