We Will Know In Two Years

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

2 years is an interesting number. I'm assuming that means with full funding.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

TallDave wrote:2 years is an interesting number. I'm assuming that means with full funding.
I don't think that full funding is a rqmt. to work out the essential issues. A few million a year (about what they are getting now) may do the trick.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

choff

Post by choff »

It's always possible some different research project by another lab will indirectly provide confirmation, or they just need to do a few more definitive tests.
CHoff

Barry Kirk

Post by Barry Kirk »

Is that 1-2 years to know if this will work, mean P-B11 or does it mean any polywell?

Should I take this to mean.

1) D-T and D-D will absolutely positively work.
2) P-B11 we will know within 1-2 years...

Or does the uncertainty include D-D and/or D-T?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Barry Kirk wrote:Is that 1-2 years to know if this will work, mean P-B11 or does it mean any polywell?

There is no definitive information on what that means.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Art Carlson

Post by Art Carlson »

Barry Kirk wrote:Is that 1-2 years to know if this will work, mean P-B11 or does it mean any polywell?

I would take it to mean this:

1) p-B11 will absolutely positively not work.
2) We will know within 1-2 years if D-T and D-D have a snowball's chance in hell of working.

Rick would adjust the adverbs a trifle, but I'm pretty sure he would consider it a success to have the knowledge within 2 years to scale D-T plasmas to reactor conditions.

Barry Kirk

Post by Barry Kirk »

Got it.... So, P-B11 is off the table, and D-T isn't even certain... :cry:

Well, should DD be a possibility, would helium 3 be a possibility.

I was hoping that we would be able to skip mining the moon for He3.

On the other hand, would it be possible to set up breeder reactors to generate He3 for mobile reactors?

rnebel

Post by rnebel »

I think we have a real shot at p-11B. I think it is possible to beat the Bremstrahlung issue.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

rnebel wrote:I think we have a real shot at p-11B. I think it is possible to beat the Bremstrahlung issue.
:D :D :D :D :D :D YEE-HA!!!

Barry Kirk

Post by Barry Kirk »

I second that....

I've got a couple of questions now...

1) Is it that Brem isn't that tricky to deal with?
2) Is DD or DT a slam dunk then?

:D :D :D :D

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

Interesting!! the only way I would think to beat Bremstrahlung is minimize the electron interactions with the nucleus's in the plasma. I would think that their would be some radiation no matter how much you try to minimize the interactions.

Barry Kirk

Post by Barry Kirk »

Since, the plasma is fairly close to electrically neutral throughout, your going to have electrons close to the ions...

Unless, the plasma is "banded" where you alternate layers of electrons and ions like a lasagna.

Course I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Is it possible to setup standing waves in the plasma to physically separate the electrons from the ions?

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

Barry Kirk wrote:Since, the plasma is fairly close to electrically neutral throughout, your going to have electrons close to the ions...

Unless, the plasma is "banded" where you alternate layers of electrons and ions like a lasagna.

Course I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Is it possible to setup standing waves in the plasma to physically separate the electrons from the ions?
Interesting idea,and maybe possible, it would be similar to the "wake field" accelerators, where plasma's are accelerated by groups of electrons. The electron sit in the low density "troughs" minimizing the acceleration/deceleration radiation.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

According to one explanation I heard, it is not so much the NUMBER of the electrons at the location where the ions are bookin, but the speed. In the core where the fusion happens, there are lots of electrons, but they are movin kind o slow. Low velocity, little Brem.

Secondarily, run rich in protons and the brem problem goes down too. That is what I heard. Hope its right.

rnebel

Post by rnebel »

Nothing is a slam dunk. If the transport doesn't work out, then none of the systems will work. Right now, the transport looks fine. The question is whether or not it will scale.