Cold Fusion Is Hot

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

David_Jay wrote:
One other thing, Pamela Mosier-Boss has worked with Fleischmann for a few years, she is a firm part of the 'cold fusion' camp.
And your point? If there is a physical phenomenon underlying all of the anomalous results then why should it matter what "camp" the researcher comes from? Are you perhaps an "alarmist", a "denier", a "luke-warmer"? Labels don't advance science.
Not at all, I do know that Fleischmann has been trying to prove he's been right for the past 20 years with very little evidence to support him. I would worry about scientific bias in these studies more than anything else, that's all I'm trying to say.

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

David_Jay wrote:
One other thing, Pamela Mosier-Boss has worked with Fleischmann for a few years, she is a firm part of the 'cold fusion' camp.
And your point? If there is a physical phenomenon underlying all of the anomalous results then why should it matter what "camp" the researcher comes from? Are you perhaps an "alarmist", a "denier", a "luke-warmer"? Labels don't advance science.

If Lyndon LaRouche (trying to come up with a crackpot that no one on this forum will defend) discovered a plentiful, low cost energy production system, I would still accept the benefit.

What do you have against Lyndon LaRouche !

No, seriously, I don't like him either. :)

David

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Lyndon LaRouche?

I used to buy Fusion Magazine from his airport people.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Helius

Post by Helius »

Morgan wrote:
Too much of science nowadays is subject to "intellectual phase lock" . The idea is that if the majority of, and the biggest brains in science don't agree with it, it's obviously nonsense.
This seems consistent with my semi-ignorant observation: Reaching the point at which one really understands the leading edge of science has become increasingly difficult. Galileo could learn new things by watching balls roll down a ramp. That understanding could be communicated in a day. Newton used new mathematics to describe the observed motions of the planets. That could be understood in a month. Einstein takes at least a year. These days, it probably takes more like a decade to really understand anything at the boundaries.

Those who have reached the point of understanding one or more of those leading edge theories can't bear the idea that they might have to start thinking really hard all over again. Easier to reject observations that fail to correspond to theory. Often - almost always - correct to do so.

But not always.
Zow! Good call from a Kuhnian disciple!

Solo

Post by Solo »

Apparently the American Chemical Society magazine carried a story about this new cold fusion thing. Whoever claims this probably has good evidence, because they know what'll become of them if it turns out to be a mistake!

Off-topic: Morgan: yeah, I find it rather depressing that it takes longer to build up enough knowledge to reach 'the edge' and start doing real research. One of these days, we'll reach the point where nothing new happens at all unless we stumble across a new Einstein. (Or unless we do like China does with their Olympic atheletes, and pick them out at a very young age and train them in just one discipline (plasma physics for example) for many, many years.) This makes a good case for those crazy ppl who think we all need to live forever!)

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

Solo wrote:Off-topic: Morgan: yeah, I find it rather depressing that it takes longer to build up enough knowledge to reach 'the edge' and start doing real research. One of these days, we'll reach the point where nothing new happens at all unless we stumble across a new Einstein.... This makes a good case for those crazy ppl who think we all need to live forever!)
Hey now, there's nothing crazy about wanting to live forever. That's just the natural consequence of not having a death wish. And yes, it will probably make it substantially more common for people to have both depth and breadth of understanding in a variety of fields — imagine where we'll be when even "basic education" is something you spend the first 5 or 10 decades of your life on, before you even consider picking a specialty!
Last edited by JoeStrout on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

John Gallagher

Post by John Gallagher »

Neutron and/or Alpha tracks in CR39 were reported at least one year ago in Infinite Energy magizine Issue 73 May/ June 2007. Why the sudden interest? I happen to consider IE one of the best crankzines going but I have a bad habit of judging things for their entertainment value. At any rate it took a while for importance of this observation to sink in.