The Standard Model Imploding?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Post by 93143 »

Skipjack wrote:Thanks for the ad hominem though.
Not an ad hominem; just stating a directly-relevant fact. The rest of your post confirms it; at least two points are demonstrably false, and the rest typical handwaving. The "In contrast..." part is particularly funny...

Your numbers were wrong. That was my original point. All the rest of your ranting just shows anyone who knows some facts how shallow your analysis really is.

I'm not saying SLS is definitely a good idea. I'm saying you're going off the deep end based on a faulty data set.
Last edited by 93143 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Alright, let someone else do the talking then. Rand Simberg was so kind as to make several very explanatory videos about the SLS and space policy in general for people like you. So even people like you get it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIxM1hzi ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HeHfVSybo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_RMphRO ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1fKoFK ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4EEKgPo ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjf64bQi ... re=related

Post by 93143 »

Seen it before. Pathetically shallow strawman analysis.
Seen it before. Hilarious in spots, generally where it's dead-on accurate. Unfortunately there are some unfair spots, and some outright wrong spots.

Notably, the idea that the Senate asked NASA to build a rocket for less than it would actually cost has been disproven by events.
Lost me at "Senate Launch System". Use of that epithet is discouraged on NSF because of its inaccuracy and inflammatory effect.

...watched the rest. Lots of unsubstantiated assertions, unstated assumptions and strawman analysis, not many facts. Laughed out loud at the "lawn ornaments" crack, though...

I believe I've seen that one before too.
...okay, witty he is. "God's own corn dog"...

No arguments until he gets to SLS/Orion, where he completely misses the point (of course, the Congressional rhetoric missed it just as thoroughly, so that's fair). The launch cost he gives is predicated on certain assumptions, which are not stated; the unsupported assertion that "it cannot be below $1B" is essentially an outright falsehood, and the amortization number is similar.
"Is that English tons or metric tonnes?"
"Do not ask."

...yeah. Tell me about it.

Most of this one is inarguable. But whenever he gets into numbers he seems to oversimplify and twist facts.
Every time he uses numbers he skews them. I'm starting to get really annoyed with this guy.

Oh, and the usual BS about BAH saying the $38B (of course he rounds it up) was "optimistic". Lesson one: Don't kneejerk over the media's 'distillation' of these sorts of things; they're quite often completely wrong. (Just to give you an idea, the $38B wasn't a cost estimate at all...)

Gets hilariously accurate from about 3:07 on...

Okay, so it looks like you've mistaken highly biased satire for a dispassionate and objective analysis. I didn't hear a single thing in any of those videos that I haven't read dozens or even hundreds of times on NSF, and solid facts are rather thin on the ground compared with what I'm used to...

Looks to me like you've mistaken what sort of "people" I'm "like"... To reiterate: I'm not saying SLS is definitely a good idea. I'm saying you're going off the deep end based on a faulty data set.

As for the Tea Party, if you're talking about TPIS, Andrew Gasser is in discussions with OV-106 (Mike Snyder, IIRC) and looks to be trying to be open-minded; we'll see how that shakes out.

I assume you haven't read many of OV-106's posts. He seems to have a very realistic and nuanced perspective, not at all like the caricature you seem to be working with.

Sorry about the aggressive tone. I'm apparently letting myself get carried away in reaction to forcing myself to be extra polite on NSF. As we all know, the moderation policy on here is very lax compared to that of NSF...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

LOL
Lost me at "Senate Launch System". Use of that epithet is discouraged on NSF because of its inaccuracy and inflammatory effect.
I think the name Senate Launch System is deadly accurate to the point. It was demanded by certain senators turned rocket engineers after all.
Okay, so it looks like you've mistaken highly biased satire for a dispassionate and objective analysis.
Actually I have not based my opinion on his videos.
I'm saying you're going off the deep end based on a faulty data set.
Wrong assumption
Just to give you an idea, the $38B wasn't a cost estimate at all
So what is the cost estimate?
No arguments until he gets to SLS/Orion, where he completely misses the point
The point of it being what exactly?
the unsupported assertion that "it cannot be below $1B" is essentially an outright falsehood,
The semi reusable shuttle cost over a billion per launch. The SLS is not reusable. How is it supposed to cost less?

You know, it seems to me that in your opinion everyone is wrong but you.
The BAH is wrong, The Augustine commission is wrong, even NASA is wrong, only you and your porking friends in congress are right.
Hillarious!

Post by 93143 »

Wow. Some of that is wrong, and some of it is not even wrong (ie: you've misunderstood me).

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to respond, so that this doesn't spiral out of control. Suffice it to say that you are confirming my initial impressions.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Wow. Some of that is wrong, and some of it is not even wrong (ie: you've misunderstood me).

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to respond, so that this doesn't spiral out of control. Suffice it to say that you are confirming my initial impressions.
Dude, I am soooo looking foreward to your response!
;)

Post by 93143 »

Don't get your hopes up; I don't intend to write a novel this time. Think of it as 'traffic calming'...

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

93143 wrote:Your level of knowledge and understanding on this topic doesn't seem to be much past the level of the blogs and mass media.
Not just on this topic. I'm learning it's best to ignore him.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Not just on this topic. I'm learning it's best to ignore him.
I was wondering when you would chime in, talking BS as usual!
Guys, the SLS is one big pork rocket. Even the main supporters in the Senate admit as much (shameless Shelby was not ashamed to brag about it).
But yeah, please keep believing whatever you want to. Thanks to people like you, the US will see a launch every two years from now on and no manned space programe until 2021!
But please, go and drink the cool aid!

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Why jump to smack talk before even getting to the bottom of the disagreement?

Post by 93143 »

Skipjack wrote:
LOL
Well, it is! What else can I say, without spending hours dissecting it?
I think the name Senate Launch System is deadly accurate to the point. It was demanded by certain senators turned rocket engineers after all.
Except that you are entirely mistaken. SLS is a NASA design with NASA cost estimates, and it always has been. Did it escape your notice that the FCA-escalated cost NASA gave BAH was identical to the value in the Authorization Act? Most people at NASA and their contractors seem to want SLS, too, despite what the OMB would have you believe.
Okay, so it looks like you've mistaken highly biased satire for a dispassionate and objective analysis.
Actually I have not based my opinion on his videos.
But you seem to have thought they would enlighten "people like" me. You seem blind to their flaws.
I'm saying you're going off the deep end based on a faulty data set.
Wrong assumption
It's not an assumption; it's an observation based on evidence.
Just to give you an idea, the $38B wasn't a cost estimate at all
So what is the cost estimate?
It's in that article you linked. $10B to core IOC, plus $1.5B FCA (paying civil servants and whatnot, which would happen anyway), for a total of $11.5B. That includes upper stage work to PDR, and it also seems to include manrating a stretched DHCUS...

Orion is $6B plus $700M FCA, and the 21st Century Spaceport work is $2B plus $400M FCA.

It is notable that BAH said the estimates were reliable for a 3-5 year budget planning window, and the estimates above only go for 6 years. So the odds of them being catastrophically optimistic are rather low.

Adding an upper stage tends to be estimated in the $4B range. Of course, if you're operating the system at the same time, you will have spent more than that in total by the time the US is done, but that's not a development cost.

That $38B was a budget availability scenario over 20 years (and a pretty pessimistic one at that), and has nothing to do with the numbers BAH saw.
No arguments until he gets to SLS/Orion, where he completely misses the point
The point of it being what exactly?
To go BEO. ISS support is a backup mission that hopefully will never be executed.

You wouldn't know that from the Congressional rhetoric, but there it is...
the unsupported assertion that "it cannot be below $1B" is essentially an outright falsehood,
The semi reusable shuttle cost over a billion per launch. The SLS is not reusable. How is it supposed to cost less?
1) No Orbiter. You should know this by now.

There are also ways to further reduce the cost of an SD system by a large fraction, perhaps as high as 40%, by going more hands-off and 'commercial' in operations. Indications are that some of this sort of thing may have made it into NASA's estimates, being the stuff BAH were complaining didn't have historical precedent...

2) Your number includes amortized development costs. His number explicitly did not - he said it would double if that were included, which piles on two more unstated, unjustified assumptions. Not to mention that the scenario being what it is (an additional use of a system that exists anyway for a different purpose), even including fixed costs isn't really fair.
You know, it seems to me that in your opinion everyone is wrong but you.
Really? You've never heard anyone else who agrees with me? You need to get out more. Or visit NSF more; there are a lot of them there...
The BAH is wrong
I never said that. You've misinterpreted what they said; that's all.
The Augustine commission is wrong
They made some errors, yes - slapping margins on margins and such... but what has the Augustine Commission got to do with any of my points?
even NASA is wrong
I'm not disagreeing with NASA this time. Keep up.

NASA is all for SLS, as far as I can tell. Including General Bolden. Of course you've fallen for the White House and OMB's FUD campaign, so you wouldn't know that...
only you and your porking friends in congress are right.
You must have missed the part where I agreed that they've been spinning this to the point of egregious misrepresentation. Also, I don't believe this is the best technical/fiscal solution, especially with that 130-ton requirement, which Congress seems happy to have NASA misinterpret as 130 tonnes... Also, I don't approve of the way NASA's budget is treated; I admit that this is how it works, but I don't like it.

But more importantly, "friends"? "Porking" friends yet? Just FYI, I'm a Canadian aerospace engineering Ph.D. student with no stake in SLS; in fact no ties whatsoever to NASA or indeed anyone in the United States, in which I have never so much as set foot. I am an outside observer who has formed an opinion based on data.

I used to dislike Shuttle for the same reasons you do. What changed my mind? Data. Certainly it should have been replaced long ago. But in the absence of a better alternative, it's not nearly as bad as you make out. And this was a particularly stupid time to end it - no replacement, you see, and a space station that could suddenly need it... I'm just glad we got STS-135 off, or we'd be in real trouble...

Not that that has anything to do with my lamenting the brain drain...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Except that you are entirely mistaken. SLS is a NASA design with NASA cost estimates, and it always has been. Did it escape your notice that the FCA-escalated cost NASA gave BAH was identical to the value in the Authorization Act? Most people at NASA and their contractors seem to want SLS, too, despite what the OMB would have you believe.
No, congress required NASA to build a super heavy lift rocket. NASA never asked for permission to build one from congress after the Constellation project was cancelled.
As you know, the administration had asked an independent comission lead by Norm Augustine to analyze the situation at NASA and the best path for the future. It followed the recomendations of this independent panel fo experts almost to the point. General Bolden supported this.
The plan the administration has layed out with these recommendations did not have a super heavy lifter in it. It was congress, mostly the senators Shelby and Nelson who had that language inserted together with the requirement of 130 tons of payload so that they would somehow be able to guarantee that existing shuttle contracts that benefit their states most of all, kept going. It is worth mentioning that to this point there is not a single plan for a NASA mission that requires a 130 ton payload. There definitely was none at the time the dear senators defined the payload requirement. It was simply a number the pulled out of their behinds.
In fact, there are several studies by NASA and other entities like ULA that show a path for BEO missions that do not require a super expensive, super heavy lifter.
In fact, from what I understand NASA currently does not even have a budget for any BEO missions. The budget that for that is eaten up by the darn SLS!

But you seem to have thought they would enlighten "people like" me. You seem blind to their flaws.
I fail to see them.
It's in that article you linked. $10B to core IOC, plus $1.5B FCA (paying civil servants and whatnot, which would happen anyway), for a total of $11.5B. That includes upper stage work to PDR, and it also seems to include manrating a stretched DHCUS...
Yes, for the first test flight.
Of course the cost for the space port needs to be included as well. Does SpaceX charge NASA for space port work? No, it does not. Also, the need for these extremely expensive changes to the launch complex is a direct result of the existance of the SLS and its design. So of course this HAS to be included into the total cost!
It is notable that BAH said the estimates were reliable for a 3-5 year budget planning window, and the estimates above only go for 6 years. So the odds of them being catastrophically optimistic are rather low.
Ahh, so you are following the senate spin on this. I see.
Of course the senators dont care whether the thing dramatically overruns its budget in a few years and gets cancelled as it most certainly will (like almost any other launcher project NASA has attempted in the past 30 years with the exception of the DC- X/Y (which was cancelled because NASA decided to do another expensive project instead that ultimately faced cost overruns and was cancelled... X33).
To go BEO. ISS support is a backup mission that hopefully will never be executed.
Again, you dont need a super expensive low flight rate super heavy lift SLS to do BEO missions.
Example:
http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/docs/publ ... re2009.pdf

I know there were others. I have to look them up and find them.
I do remember one using Falcon Heavys for a Mars mission.

Besides that, the cost of the SLS has eaten all the budget for BEO missions. So there will be a rocket without a mission. The first mission (only real mission defined by now) will bring humans to LEO in 2021. It will cost serveral billions more to get there too.
Congratulations!
1) No Orbiter. You should know this by now.
There are also ways to further reduce the cost of an SD system by a large fraction, perhaps as high as 40%, by going more hands-off and 'commercial' in operations. Indications are that some of this sort of thing may have made it into NASA's estimates, being the stuff BAH were complaining didn't have historical precedent...
Oh, so throwing away 5 of the VERY EXPENSIVE SSMEs and an J2 upper stage after every launch will be cheaper than reusing them?
I dont see how that will reduce cost, especially since most of the standing army, the expensive systems and procedures with the exception of refurbishing the orbiter still remain in place.
Yes, I agree that servicing the orbiter was very expensive, but I have seen no indication that the throw away SLS will be any cheaper. Also NASA has been promising reduced cost for its standing armys and launch complexes in the past and never did it. So far NASA has a very, very bad history of meeting its cost predictions and in this case, NASA itself has asked for more money several times.
2) Your number includes amortized development costs. His number explicitly did not - he said it would double if that were included, which piles on two more unstated, unjustified assumptions. Not to mention that the scenario being what it is (an additional use of a system that exists anyway for a different purpose), even including fixed costs isn't really fair.
What? So maybe SpaceX should substract all these costs from its projected launch costs as well. Since they obviously dont count?! I thinkt hat would tip things even more in SpaceX favor!
Really? You've never heard anyone else who agrees with me? You need to get out more. Or visit NSF more; there are a lot of them there...
Well there may be a few, mostly those that directly benefit from the pork. I can bring you many more that disagree that will bring you many, many good reasons for doing so.
Lets start with:
The space frontier foundation:
http://spacefrontier.org/2011/09/15/monster-rocket/

Space Access Society:
http://www.space-access.org/updates/sau128.html

Senator Dana Rohrbacher:
http://rohrabacher.house.gov/News/Docum ... tID=260132

Popular Mechanics:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... =pm_latest

Andrew Gasser from Tea Party in Space:
http://www.teapartyinspace.org/?q=conte ... m-response
http://www.teapartyinspace.org/?q=conte ... m-response

The register:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/15/nasa_sls/

Huffington post:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rick-tuml ... 63484.html

http://elevenpoint2.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... fting.html

I can bring many, many more.
Last edited by Skipjack on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 93143 »

I said I don't have time for point-by-point, and I don't. Don't expect a response until tomorrow at the earliest.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I said I don't have time for point-by-point, and I don't. Don't expect a response until tomorrow at the earliest.
Take your time.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Perhaps Elon Musk should be encouraged to make a Falcon 9SH (SUPER Heavey). 7 cores, use up 4 of the outer 6 and jettison, then the other 2 outer and jettison, then the inner. Should lift ~125Mg. Super enough for anybody, no?

Plus economies of scale! It certainly should be cheaper to make 7 smaller identical units than one MASSIVE unit, especially if the 7 are actually 7 out of 30 or so..

Musk is effectively making work what OTRAG failed to do. :D

Need an extra 5Mg? Place GEMS or the like around the PAYLOAD housing and jettison early. Might also be a use for Boeing's PETA pulse jet engines.