Room-temperature superconductivity?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Yes, and I have to admit a particular interest in mechanical systems with no significant friction. Mag bearings rock!

I don't want to tip Johan's hand, but according to his theory, diamond isn't the only or most useful material suggested. In Dr. Prinz's hands, Millsian could be very useful.

This is big stuff--worth some time to consider how we might facilitate.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

My attitude on my personal IP? I give all away.

There are two ways to keep people from stealing your ideas: keep them secret. Give them away. I prefer the second method.

Ideas are a dime a bushel basket full and cheaper by the bale. If I gain notice from one of my ideas I can make money on the next one. Or consult with people exploiting one of my previous brain farts.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

BTW now that the heat has died down some. I met the U Chicago Physics Graduate through my son who is a U. Chicago Graduate in Russian Language. Soon to be teaching English language and American Culture at the University of Smolensk. He has a US Government scholarship. He says, "I received a scholarship to find a Slavic bride." And I'm an alum of UC.

So I could be prejudiced. I will say that it does seem their standards in the physical sciences have fallen some. But no where near as far as in the Ivy League.

In any case the U C Physics friend of my son was well aware of the inertia question and had discussed it with others at U C. And there was some interest (probably transient) to do experiments. But no funds.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

GIThruster wrote: No. It didn't appear you accused anyone. Just FYI though, Tony is the guy at NASA who was doing the investigations into both Woodward's and Pod's work before funding was cut. He has a very open mind.
Fascinating: I would very much like to talk to him since I think I know what is causing this effect!
On this issue that you forwarded test items to England and Japan, and haven't heard back. ..can you say either here or in private mail some of the details of this? I've never heard of such a thing before.
I have handed over two samples in good faith at a conference in Belgium a few years ago; with the assurance that they will study them and report back. In fact there was a German visiting scientist at the lab. in Japan who asked me questions on how to make contacts etc. He has long ago returned to Germany and has not contacted me. I have sent e-mails to his Japanese colleague; but has so far not got any response.
The guy in England I know personally very well: He is involved high up in the organization of the European Diamond Physics group. This group has treated me as if I am a leper since 2001 after I claimed "possible" superconduction of electrons extracted from diamond. I suspect that this group might be leaning on him (as they have leaned on other organisers of conferences (see "a sordid tale"), I do not want to put him under further pressure from my side, since he is really a super young guy; while my time is nearing its end..
Did you have a written agreement with either of these labs before you sent the test items? I'm just flabbergasted. One would think that at least with the lab in the UK, you could get someone on the phone. Japan you may have a language barrier, but the lab in the UK. . .I dunno what to think.
No it was an amicable: I can point fingers based on very good circumstantial evidence why a person who stars in this group would prefer not to put his own future at risk just to support me by reporting results favourable to what I am claiming. But it would be better not to stir things up!

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

MSimon wrote:My attitude on my personal IP? I give all away. There are two ways to keep people from stealing your ideas: keep them secret. Give them away. I prefer the second method.
Yes it is more rational since the whole patenting scene only exists for the powerful and rich to control other people's IP. So give it to them: But in my case friends and family have invested in me: I cannot just give it away.
Ideas are a dime a bushel basket full and cheaper by the bale. If I gain notice from one of my ideas I can make money on the next one. Or consult with people exploiting one of my previous brain farts.
It is true for day-to-day widgets; but to find the Holy Grail of physics namely superconduction at and above room temperature is not part of a "dime a bushel" ideas. Michio Kaku has wrote in his book Visions that the discovery of superconduction at room temperature will lead to a new worldwide industrial revolution. I have already discovered such a phase 10 years ago! And the proof that an electric current flows without any electric field being present is impeccable while such a proof has NEVER been presented for ANY other superconducting phase discovered before. Why are people not willing to talk to me? Even if in the end they can prove me wrong, just the possible benefits which will ensue if I am correct (and I am correct) should have interested large corporations like INTEL, IBM SAMSUNG etc. It seems only the Chinese are willing to think along these lines.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

MSimon wrote: In any case the U C Physics friend of my son was well aware of the inertia question and had discussed it with others at U C. And there was some interest (probably transient) to do experiments. But no funds.
What boggles my mind, but I have to admit that it also passed me by during most of my life, is that the physics community cannot realise that Heisenberg's interpretation of the "uncertainties" in position and momentum of an electron, violates Galileo's inertia; and thus also Newton's deduction that inertia defines mass: This means that all our physics equations, including Schroedinger's equation, immediately becomes invalid when it is assumed that a body with mass (like an electron) cannot be stationary within its own inertial reference frame. AND WHEN IT IS STATIONARY BOTH ITS POSITION AND MOMENTUM MUST MANIFEST WITH NO UNCERTAINTY!

What does it mean to be stationary? It means that the body's centre-of-mass is in stable equilibrium. What does stable equilibrium means? It means that when the centre-of-mass tries to move, there is a restoring force coming into action. Where does this restoring force come from for a solitary electron? Obviously from a suitable boundary condition which acts like a spring constant. Where does this spring constant come from? Obviously it must come from Einstein's curvature of space around mass: etc. etc. etc.

The point is that as long as you assume that a solitary electron has unceratinties in its position and momentum, for so long you will not be able to reconcile gravity with quantum mechanics. That is why this unification will stay elusive until the Copenhagen interpretation is rejected as a hallucination which Heisenberg had on Heligo Island while suffering from hay fever.

icarus

Post by icarus »

Why haven't you gone to the Chinese?

They could be quite accommodating to a disaffected maverick holding the key to the next industrial revolution I'd imagine. I wonder if they have 'men in black' as well though ... you better watch out for them.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

The problem is that such a summary is immediately rejected since it shows that the BCS model is not tenable.
By establishment SC theorists, yes. By people like us here, who are blessedly ignorant enough to have open minds, you get the benefit of some doubt until experiment proves things one way or the other.

I just thought it would be nice to be able to mention this on places on Slashdot, etc, as something more detailed than "hey there's this guy in S Africa who has a different theory of SC and has maybe discovered room temp SC" but without pasting your whole book. A short summary is usually good for piquing interest enough for someone to follow a link and read your book, and then maybe mention it someone else with an open mind and deep pockets, and next thing you know you're building superconducting chips...

Just an idea, but it's how a lot of people got interested in PW, which ran counter to a lot of establishment ideas in fusion.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

MSimon wrote:My attitude on my personal IP? I give all away.

There are two ways to keep people from stealing your ideas: keep them secret. Give them away. I prefer the second method.

Similar to how open-source software companies make money. They don't sell product, they sell services.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

just_an_observer

Why not just start a contact campaign

Post by just_an_observer »

http://www.google.com/search?q=contact+ ... =firefox-a

There's lot's of ways to do it. One only has to take the first step.

Michio Kaku has regular programs on the science channel. Maybe he'd be interested. Getting a little publicity could generate more interest.

Or for that matter, why not just contact Ray Kurzweil?

Just an observation.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

johanfprins wrote:Fascinating: I would very much like to talk to him since I think I know what is causing this effect!
If you think you can explain something like the Pod effect, that will certainly get you into SPESIF. Just needs a few page paper where you can put in all your SC work. Tony was smitten with the Pod work. I think that would be enough to motivate him for a Video conference link at the least, or a plane ticket perhaps.

SPESIF papers are short and the presentations are only about half hour. If you think you understand the Pod effect and can explain it, I think it's worth considering.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

icarus wrote:Why haven't you gone to the Chinese?
Obviously it would be stupid of me to discuss such an issue on this forum. But all options are still possible.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

TallDave wrote: By establishment SC theorists, yes. By people like us here, who are blessedly ignorant enough to have open minds, you get the benefit of some doubt until experiment proves things one way or the other.

I just thought it would be nice to be able to mention this on places on Slashdot, etc, as something more detailed than "hey there's this guy in S Africa who has a different theory of SC and has maybe discovered room temp SC" but without pasting your whole book. A short summary is usually good for piquing interest enough for someone to follow a link and read your book, and then maybe mention it someone else with an open mind and deep pockets, and next thing you know you're building superconducting chips....
You have a point. Would it generate interest if I prove from first year physics that for no superconductor ever discovered if has been proved in any manner whatsoever that the electric field within the SC is actually zero, while showing why in my case the proof that the electric feld is actually zero is incontestable? And that the BCS model cannot explain how an electric-field is cancelled? How many words in such a summary, and where should I send it.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

BenTC wrote: Similar to how open-source software companies make money. They don't sell product, they sell services.
There is no way how I can sell my services to any company which has the infrastructure which I do not have. It is a totally different situation.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

GIThruster wrote: If you think you can explain something like the Pod effect, that will certainly get you into SPESIF.
I do not know all the terms you are using. I assumed that the work referred to is the fact that space probes do not follow the paths predicted by accepted gravitation. Is this what you mean by the "Pod" effect? Or have I been barking up the wrong tree? Sorry if I misunderstood.