Mach Effect progress

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

GIThruster wrote:"Science is by definition what is known"? That's as crazy, stupid and wrong as any statement can be.
'Science' comes from the latin 'scientia', meaning 'that which is known'.

That is what 'by definition' means.

It is now necessary for GIT to demonstrate what is 'crazy stupid and wrong' about the above lines of this post.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

GIThruster wrote:chis himself argued with me over this point and said he thought to increase entropy one would need to lessen the expansion of the universe, because chris does not understand the arrow of time. This has all be dealt with before, and chris knows this.
'Chris' said nothing.

A post under chrismb identified that the 'increase in the acceleration of space' was a decrease in entropy. This is not 'the expansion of space', this is 'the acceleration of the expansion of space'.

This is very important to get right in the discussion on the thermodynamic viability of the proposed statements that GIT has put forward describing proposed 'ME thrust'.

A gas experiencing an expansion into free space is an increase in entropy - it is approaching a lower energy state.

A space which is being caused to expand is being taken away from a lower energy state.

The complexity that arises is that where there is simultaneously an expansion of matter into an expansion of space, the rate of change of entropy is not well-defined from what is known, because the universe may be heading towards a full 'blow-out' or a complete collapse and that't not really well proven either way.

However, if the space continues to accelerate its expansion, then that will, at some point at least, inevitably be a decrease of entropy as it is a system that is increasingly tending away from a low energy state.

This can be made clearer by considering matter that is not expanding but is caught up in this expansion - as the expansion accelerates the relative momentum of this matter moving away from each other is increasing, and an increase in momentum is a decrease in entropy. A momentum gain in the universe cannot be 'fuelled', by whatever means may be speculated, by an [also] increase in relative momentum between objects accelerating away from each other. If momentum is gained by the speculated 'ME thruster' means, then the acceleration between objects in the universe, viz. their relative momentum, must decrease not increase.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Like I said chris, you don't understand the answer because you don't understand entropy and the Arrow of Time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(arrow_of_time)

How then are we going to have a conversation about it?

You're really great at pretending you understand things that in fact, you are clueless about.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

So, let the argument be that the whole universe contains two galaxies, and when observers in one look at the other galaxy they calculate it has some quantity of momentum.

At a later date they notice that the velocity the galaxy is moving away from them has increased. Do they say 'the momentum of that galaxy has decreased' or do they say 'the momentum of that galaxy has increased'?

Is GIT able to answer this first-step question? (then the argument can be carried to the next step of explanation)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

You're posing an improper illustration and again, not even wrong.

Please stop writing me. You are not worth my time. Find an instructor in thermodynamics.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

It would appear that GIT's written logic is simply unable to reason through the very simplest of discussions.

Why does GIT say the illustration is improper?

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

bump
chrismb wrote:
GIThruster wrote:"Science is by definition what is known"? That's as crazy, stupid and wrong as any statement can be.
'Science' comes from the latin 'scientia', meaning 'that which is known'.

That is what 'by definition' means.

It is now necessary for GIT to demonstrate what is 'crazy stupid and wrong' about the above lines of this post.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

bump
chrismb wrote:
GIThruster wrote:It's quite obvious you did not answer the question as you have no idea what a Mach Effect is.
Did GIT mean to say "It's quite obvious you have no idea what a Mach Effect is because you did not answer the question."?

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

how about we open another Mach Effect thread and leave this one for Chris and GIT alone to argue until the sun becomes a red giant?

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

AcesHigh wrote:how about we open another Mach Effect thread and leave this one for Chris and GIT alone to argue until the sun becomes a red giant?
GIT's posts have readily exposed what appear to be human frailties of vanity and defensiveness within arguments, so it is also to be supposed that he is human and his other human frailties will include a mortality not exceeding the Sun's current G2 phase.

If AcesHigh wishes to start a new thread, then one possible inference is that AcesHigh does not wish to know what explanations GIT may come up with to justify the claims in his posts that entropy increases whilst all objects in the universe accelerate? As a correct treatment of thermodynamics is central to any arguments related to considering the postulated ME theory, why would AcesHigh wish to start a new thread if he does not wish to discuss this?

What does Aces High think? If all the objects in the universe have accelerated their expansion away from each other, has net momentum gone up, or come down? Has entropy gone up, or come down?

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It really doesn't matter at all--this issue about whether the universe would accelerate in its expansion or decelerate--as result of increased entropy. M-E theory merely states that as M-E devices are used, locally entropy is reduced so globally (in our case, universally) entropy increases, and explains the mechanism for momentum transfer is easily described as "gravinertial flux" or what gives matter its mass. What that global increase in entropy looks like--either the acceleration or deceleration of the universe's expansion--is not a part of M-E theory. It is just one of the many points chris wants to argue over that has nothing to do with anything except trying to prove he's a clever person.

If chris understood that being clever is not enough in this life, he would not post the way he does.

If I thought chris would not follow us to a new M-E thread, certainly I'd think Aces has a great idea here, but experience shows chris is going to do whatever serves his twisted needs. This is why as I said, the real solution is to convince chris to go get some therapy.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

GIThruster wrote:It really doesn't matter at all ... &c.
The rare, albeit indirect, sound of GIT conceding a point ..... swiftly moving on ....

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I did not concede your point, chris. You are obviously wrong as regards the Arrow of Time. I merely pointed out that the entire discussion you derailed this thread onto is purely self-serving of your sick, twisted needs, and has no relation to M-E theory.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

GIThruster wrote:I did not concede your point, chris. You are obviously wrong as regards the Arrow of Time. I merely pointed out that the entire discussion you derailed this thread onto is purely self-serving of your sick, twisted needs, and has no relation to M-E theory.
The rare, albeit indirect, sound of GIT regretting conceding a point ..... swiftly moving on ...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Chris, GIT,

The discussion is fine. But I have been getting complaints about the flame wars.

And no. I don't care who started it. (Angry parent mode. Heh)
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.