3D Gun

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: 3D Gun

Post by Skipjack »

ladajo wrote: All that said, DeltaV has a point as well... ;)
What exactly was his point?

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

The 'rules' are flexible.

EDIT
damnit i missed the perfect opportunity for a Pirates of the Caribbean reference.
Last edited by Stubby on Tue May 14, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Maybe they are, but it still annoys me. I am already rarely visiting General anymore (unless I am really, really bored) and politics are making their way into News often enough through thread drift. So it would be great if we could keep obviously political threads out of News.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Btw, I find 3D printed guns are a novelty and that is their only appeal, unless you are a criminal. Everyone else will buy a much better gun for much less money, legally.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yup.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It is a civil liberty issue. Not a 3D Gun Crime issue.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

ladajo wrote:It is a civil liberty issue. Not a 3D Gun Crime issue.
That I agree on. Still I think people would complain less about the incident if these were plans for how to make IEDs from household chemicals...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I don't see why it's not just a matter of time before it is a gun crime issue.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Guns don't kill. People kill.

It matters not the tool they choose. They will find one to suit intent and purpose.
You might as well ban slingshots and bows. I would hazard that some bows are way more lethal and accessible than a gun that is 3D printed.

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

"I don't see why it's not just a matter of time before it is a gun crime issue."

Because it isn't that useful a gun. The ammunition alone renders it visible to x-ray and most metal detectors. or the same wright and volume, many other firearms are preferable.

Whether for just or unjust purposes, this isn't that good a gun.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

No, but this gun has no purpose other to be used by criminals. What reason would a regular person (other than for some novelty thing ) have to use this gun? It is dangerous, it wont last long, it for all intents and purposes sucks. However it is not registered anywhere and it can probably go through a metal detector unnoticed. It is also very easy to dispose of (you can easily grind it into shreds or melt it in a fire). It is for all intents and purposes the perfect weapon for a criminal and the least perfect weapon for self defense. I think the ammo can be made out of plastic as well.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

No, but this gun has no purpose other to be used by criminals.
I disagree. It is an engineering project. An interesting one that stretches the boundaries of materials and applications.
What reason would a regular person (other than for some novelty thing ) have to use this gun?
It is lightweight, small and (down the road) potentially cheap. It also meets with ease any possible "capacity" limitations by being a single shot weapon.
It is dangerous, it wont last long, it for all intents and purposes sucks.
That sounds very emotional, and not so well thought out. Who are you to judge? Have you studied one? Tested it?
However it is not registered anywhere
It is a Hollywood Myth that all guns must be registered. None of mine are, and never have been. I have lived many places, and taken them with. Never have I encountered a regulation or law stating they must be registered. And even if there was, I more than likely would not. Even with a concealed carry permit, it did not specify any of my weapons.
and it can probably go through a metal detector unnoticed.
Not this one. It was specifically engineered to be detectable. It has a metal plate integral to it.
It is also very easy to dispose of (you can easily grind it into shreds or melt it in a fire).
I can do this with any gun.
It is for all intents and purposes the perfect weapon for a criminal and the least perfect weapon for self defense.
I would say it is not really good for any use outside of engineering tests, and maybe (big maybe) single shot self defense. No criminal would want it.
I think the ammo can be made out of plastic as well.
You can make ammo out of anything. In fact you don't even need a case. Caseless ammo has been aorund for a long time. You need a charge, a projectile, and a means to ignite the charge while it is contained in the barrel.

This is about civil liberties. It is like where some dude sets up a bench with a pile of guns and a "Free" sign". Is this illegal? Remember, nothing was manufactured, nothing was sold. Free for the taking pile of stuff.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

As I said, would you be so up in arms about it if it was a website teaching people how to make improvised explosive devices?
Anyone who has ever worked with stuff out of a 3D printer knows that this thing will break very easily. This kind of plastic is very brittle. I have frequently worked with 3D printed devices (heck my software is often used to design the objects) and while it has improved, it still breaks easily.
You missed my point. No other gun can be this easily disposed. Real guns are usually made out of forged and durable steel and other durable materials. I want to see you grind that to dust, or melting it in a simple fire.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

This particular gun was designed for a high end plastic not available to the generic user. It also thus requires a high end printer that you will not find in a household. It is desgined for commercial grade production, not Timmy's Garage and Teen Adventure Land.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

This gun would be useful to a normal person for the same purpose the original Liberator was intended for--killing a jackboot and stealing his(much better) gun. Even made from poorer quality materials, it would be more than enough for one or two shots, as made.

The purpose is to prevent a government monopoly on violence. Are there other ways to do it? Sure, but the symbolism here can be just as important as having a functional system.
Evil is evil, no matter how small