US Cuts Fusion Budget

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

US Cuts Fusion Budget

Post by MSimon »

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/335/6071/901.short
To remain at the cutting edge, U.S. fusion researchers must participate in the huge international experiment called ITER being built in Cadarache, France. But to pay for ITER—which aims to produce a self-sustaining fusion reaction, or "burning plasma," and prove that fusion is a viable energy source—the United States may have to sacrifice the very community of researchers who would use the machine when it is ready. That paradox hit home last week, when President Barack Obama submitted a 2013 budget request to Congress that would slash the nation's already beleaguered domestic fusion program while boosting the U.S. contribution to ITER.
I take issue with the first sentence.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Oh man, that sucks and is really stupid!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It is called lobby effect.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Its called ass-kissing, OBama cares much more for his image overseas than he does here in the US. I'm sure he'll now apologize that the funding isn't larger and say how Americans are lazy.

Oh no wait, he already apologized this week. Was for the mistaken burning of a Koran. He's not due to apologize again for at least another 5 days.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Ouch.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

GIThruster wrote:Oh no wait, he already apologized this week. Was for the mistaken burning of a Koran. He's not due to apologize again for at least another 5 days.
Uh huh. You live next door to a crazy man. You cannot move away, and you face dire consequences if you kill him. He says the world will end if you don't kiss his holy book every Sunday and he will shoot your kids rather than see the devil take them. It's Sunday. You have ten seconds to decide what to do. Nine... eight...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Couldn't we just burn a few boxes of Bibles and call it even?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Well you know, sometimes folks just can't be reasoned with. And, eventually, continued appeasement and trying to talk your way through things will just set you up to be killed, leaving the killers to do as they please.

http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Biog ... patia.html

How many lives and dreams were crushed and destroyed to concentrate power and wealth to build the great churches, temples and mosques of history? Just asking.

I will carry with me the feeling of horror I felt the first time I visited Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome. It was a horrified wonder that overwhelmed me as I entered the great doors and was overcome with the thought of how many had died at the other end of the sword and arrow to build it. It felt shameful. I still remember the moment like it was today.

That said, it truly is an amazing structure, as well the the archeology underneath with the old Roman mausoleums it was built on top of.

ogiw

Here's an idea

Post by ogiw »

I hear there's an election in France soon; maybe we can get The Anointed One to run for election there instead! They're used to getting waxed in combat, right?

BTW Krauthammer really had O's number last night on the All-Stars segment. Wow. "fear" ... "cravenous" ... wow.