Cold fusion in your microwave in 10 minutes

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Storing the carbon fusion energy output in heavier nuclei makes as much sense as anything. Past iron nucleosynthesis (fusion) starts consuming energy, so gold would be a good product to explain the physics (sort of) and it would be profitable- at least until the gold prices crashed.

The problem is the claimed magnetic iron produced. To be visible, amounts produced would have produced a lot of heat as mentioned in my previous post. And if that much iron was produced and preserved, as shown in the video, it was not consumed much in further nucleosynthesis to produce gold or to other endothermic reactions leading to other heavy elements. Also, if you take the position that heavier elements than Fe/NI are formed in exothermic fusion processes, this argument loses it's applicability.

It is much simpler and extremely much more likely that the iron (or other magnetic substance) comes from one of the ingredients. The simplest test would be a magnet applied to the ground up 'graphite' This was not done in the video.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

D Tibbets wrote:Storing the carbon fusion energy output in heavier nuclei makes as much sense as anything. Past iron nucleosynthesis (fusion) starts consuming energy,
Not if you "fuse" a free nucleon to it.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Making gold from carbon? If that is possible we just solved AGW! Even with the limits of biofuels, capture of CO2 to make biomass, then graphitizing it and converting to gold should provide a self-funding carbon sink!

Well, sure, gold would quickly be about as valuable as lead, and of course that means the biosphere just lost a key ingredient forever, but hey!

I'm sure there is at least a science fiction story in that somewhere.

My question is, how do we ever survive the radiation that must come from microwaved dinners?

;)

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

Tom Ligon wrote:Well, sure, gold would quickly be about as valuable as lead, and of course that means the biosphere just lost a key ingredient forever, but hey!
If we could manufacture gold and produce it cheaply enough and in sufficient quantity (i.e. using an ordinary microwave oven), it would be fantastically useful. Sure it would screw up the entire world financial markets. But wow you could do some amazing things chemically and electrically and medically etc etc if gold were cheap enough....
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K. Dick

Rick Meisinger

Post by Rick Meisinger »

Torulf2 wrote:I think I will test it. I have no time this weekend but maybe next. I have lots of things left from my old home chemistry lab. I will use a porcelain crucible covered by a pyrex flask.
I will test it for iron and try to extract fullerenes.
I was curious if you are still thinking on doing a test? I was hoping someone with know how and equipment would run a test and report back to us.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

I'm are going for it. I makes some preparations, makes chemical solutions, and clean my microwave oven. I waiting for the graphite to be delivered.

Rick Meisinger

Post by Rick Meisinger »

Torulf2 wrote:I'm are going for it. I makes some preparations, makes chemical solutions, and clean my microwave oven. I waiting for the graphite to be delivered.
Great! I hope all goes well. I am curious to see the results.

Rick Meisinger

Post by Rick Meisinger »

Torulf2 wrote:I'm are going for it. I makes some preparations, makes chemical solutions, and clean my microwave oven. I waiting for the graphite to be delivered.
Another thought; Were you planning on video taping? It would be interesting to see if you got a similar reaction with a similar change in magnetic properties.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

It was abut 20 years ago I closed my home lab, but this is fun. I have buy some more stuff at e-bay and picked up my old glassware. Some of the old stuff is most useful as decorations.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77233366@N ... hotostream

Rick Meisinger

Post by Rick Meisinger »

Torulf2 wrote:It was abut 20 years ago I closed my home lab, but this is fun. I have buy some more stuff at e-bay and picked up my old glassware. Some of the old stuff is most useful as decorations.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77233366@N ... hotostream
Impressive! At least you have some semblance of a home laboratory. I could not talk my wife into sacrificing the microwave.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Another issue- fraud.

I quickly tested a pencil against a magnet, no discernible tugging, which may suggest there was no significant iron or other magnetic material in the pencil.
Then I thought - wait a minute, I was fooled. Just like in a card or coin trick, I saw what I expected. He tested the charcoal for magnetism. He then added some 'graphite' baked the material and then showed magnetic material. But he did not test the claimed graphite ingredient for magnetism. This could have been easily doped with iron fillings. It is a simple slight of hand, like forcing a card. Once that miss direction is introduced, almost anything can be done. Elemental composition of all of the ingredients and products may be claimed. But the video by itself is completely worthless without the magnet test of the 'graphite' ingredient.

Dan Tibbets

Rick Meisinger

Post by Rick Meisinger »

D Tibbets wrote:Another issue- fraud.

I quickly tested a pencil against a magnet, no discernible tugging, which may suggest there was no significant iron or other magnetic material in the pencil.
Then I thought - wait a minute, I was fooled. Just like in a card or coin trick, I saw what I expected. He tested the charcoal for magnetism. He then added some 'graphite' baked the material and then showed magnetic material. But he did not test the claimed graphite ingredient for magnetism. This could have been easily doped with iron fillings. It is a simple slight of hand, like forcing a card. Once that miss direction is introduced, almost anything can be done. Elemental composition of all of the ingredients and products may be claimed. But the video by itself is completely worthless without the magnet test of the 'graphite' ingredient

Dan Tibbets
I agree completely. The only way to know for sure is to do duplicate what he did in the video and test the results. Torulf2 is planning on running this test this weekend, I believe. It will be interesting to see his results.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

D Tibbets wrote:Another issue- fraud.

Then I thought - wait a minute, I was fooled. Just like in a card or coin trick, I saw what I expected. He tested the charcoal for magnetism. He then added some 'graphite' baked the material and then showed magnetic material. But he did not test the claimed graphite ingredient for magnetism. This could have been easily doped with iron fillings. It is a simple slight of hand, like forcing a card. Once that miss direction is introduced, almost anything can be done. Elemental composition of all of the ingredients and products may be claimed. But the video by itself is completely worthless without the magnet test of the 'graphite' ingredient.
Rust (iron oxide) is almost non-magnetic, and in certain forms makes up a significant component of clay. If the "graphite" was from pencil "lead" as has been indicated before, the charcoal could have reduced the FeOx to Fe metal which is usually magnetic. No mystery here.

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

KitemanSA wrote:Rust (iron oxide) is almost non-magnetic, and in certain forms makes up a significant component of clay. If the "graphite" was from pencil "lead" as has been indicated before, the charcoal could have reduced the FeOx to Fe metal which is usually magnetic. No mystery here.
Perhaps. And certainly worth checking. I am still placing my bets on production of pyrolytic carbon, which exhibits strong diamagnetism, and thus would likely respond as shown in the video, and would not require iron (or nuclear fusion) to explain the results. The conditions in the microwave seem to me be ideal for creating pyrolytic carbon.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K. Dick

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

KitemanSA wrote: Rust (iron oxide) is almost non-magnetic, and in certain forms makes up a significant component of clay. If the "graphite" was from pencil "lead" as has been indicated before, the charcoal could have reduced the FeOx to Fe metal which is usually magnetic. No mystery here.
Iron shavings is a convenient ingredient. It may rust rapidly, but any number of substitutes could be used. Black sand, often found with gold in placer prospecting, is , well... black, and highly magnetic and stable. It manages to survive in water for many years. I am not certain of the chemical composition and consistency of 'black sands' but it is easily available to frustrated gold prospectors like me.

Dan Tibbets