Slough and others presenting fusion-based propulsion concept

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

glemieux

Post by glemieux »

Plus a bunch of other nuclear related propulsion concepts:

Tarditi, Alfonso, Aneutronic Fusion Spacecraft Architecture, University of Houston at Clear Lake, TX
Werka, Robert, Proposal for a Concept Assessment of a Fission Fragment Rocket Engine (FFRE) Propelled Spacecraft, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, AL

Shame there are no links yet.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Yep Slough is the only one I recognized. I'm really curious about the Clear Lake University aneutronic scheme.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Thats cool!
I have a weird kind of affection for Slough and his work. I dont quite know what it is, but I am always glad to hear news and see him make progress.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Well, I don't know about your weird affection, but my weird affection is mostly based on the similarity between his device and a Star Trek warp core.
Slough, John; Nuclear Propulsion through Direct Conversion of Fusion Energy; MSNW LLC, WA
Direct conversion? Does that mean he's looking at advanced fuels now?

Anyway, I hope NASA funds him.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Ivy Matt wrote:Anyway, I hope NASA funds him.
Oops, I automatically took "Phase I Selections" to mean that no funding would be given until more candidates were eliminated in a later phase. However, each of the proposals selected in the first phase will receive $100,000 for a year according to the press release. It's not as much money as Slough & co. are seeking, but at least it's something to start with. I'm not sure what they're going to do with that money. It's not enough to build their break-even device.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Their proposal doesn't sound like energy generation but exploiting fusion for propulsion.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Ah, "direct conversion" of fusion energy to thrust. As here. Not quite the same as his break-even fusion device, and no doubt considerably less expensive to fund.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

This is related to his work here, from what I understand.

http://www.msnwllc.com/index_propulsion.html

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Google didn't yield anything on "Ambient Plasma Wave Propulsion". The named researcher has done previous work involving fusion propulsion:

Magnetic-Nozzle Studies for Fusion Propulsion Applications: Gigawatt Plasma Source Operation and Magnetic Nozzle Analysis
The work in this report has led to the capability of reliably operating a 300 MW MPD plasma source, and identified the possibilities and issues with increasing this power level up to 1 GW.