Quantum Batteries

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Quantum Batteries

Post by Skipjack »

From NextBigFuture.com
(yeah, I kinda like this page)

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/12/digita ... cally.html
MIT Technology Review: A "digital quantum battery" concept proposed by Alfred W. H¨ubler and Onyeama Osuagwu at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign could provide a dramatic boost in energy storage capacity--if it meets its theoretical potential once built.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Charge won't break down across a small gap - because it will tunnel instead, no? Great for electrical storage I'm sure - on the ns time scale!...

Dreams are quantised too - you either have them or you don't, and even if you do they're a bit vauge. Looks like a quantum dream to me!

Nik

A funny thing...

Post by Nik »

Isn't the same layout used for plasma TVs ??

/cynic

Then again, I was totally astonished by the first of those Farad super-capacitors.

Uh, a quarter of a Farad ?? Of a *whole* Farad ? And sugar-cube rather than shoe-box sized ??

Yup, sure is !!

Well, I'll be...

So, if you don't mind, I'll reserve judgement on this one...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Hey I am completely agnostic on this. Quantum physics is an area I know very little about. I fact I dont like it for its uncertainety. "God does not throw dice", is what Einstein said. While I dont really agree on the god part, I do agree on his dislike for the dice part.
That does not mean that Quantum physics is not right (for all we know right now it is pretty solid), but while I do have to accept facts, I do not automatically have to like them ;)