Panel Suggests Fewer Restrictions on Science

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

kmkramer wrote:
Professor Science wrote:it also decreases the likely hood of a scientist going "bugger this, i'm moving to new zealand"
It also increases the number of post-docs from the PRC and India making less than $20k for doing the research of tenured faculty. And they wonder why Americans are going into technology fields in lower numbers.
Americans are not hungry enough. Too many years of living off the fat of the land.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Helius wrote:
MSimon wrote:I have used mega-doses of vitamin C in lieu of antibiotics to fight infections. It works.
No doubt your twin brother died in the control experiment.
The controlled experiment validates my anecdote. What have you got?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Art Carlson

Post by Art Carlson »

MSimon wrote:
Helius wrote:
MSimon wrote:I have used mega-doses of vitamin C in lieu of antibiotics to fight infections. It works.
No doubt your twin brother died in the control experiment.
What have you got? When you get a cold, you start taking vitamin C and after a few days the cold goes away. Sheesh.

Your single, 10-year-old study isn't very impressive either. The abstract ends "Further confirmatory studies are indicated." So where is the confirmation? A metastudy from 2005 concludes "For the seven trials that evaluated the therapeutic impact of vitamin C used at the onset of symptoms (all in adults), benefits were not observed for duration of episodes, although one of the large trials recorded a statistically significant reduction in the duration of colds among participants administered a single vitamin C dose of 8 g on the day of symptom onset [3]." (Ref. 3, the one positive study, is from 1974.)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Art Carlson wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Helius wrote: No doubt your twin brother died in the control experiment.
What have you got? When you get a cold, you start taking vitamin C and after a few days the cold goes away. Sheesh.

Your single, 10-year-old study isn't very impressive either. The abstract ends "Further confirmatory studies are indicated." So where is the confirmation? A metastudy from 2005 concludes "For the seven trials that evaluated the therapeutic impact of vitamin C used at the onset of symptoms (all in adults), benefits were not observed for duration of episodes, although one of the large trials recorded a statistically significant reduction in the duration of colds among participants administered a single vitamin C dose of 8 g on the day of symptom onset [3]." (Ref. 3, the one positive study, is from 1974.)
Art,

Vitamin C is useful as an anti-bacterial. That is different from an anti-viral.

I never made (nor did the article) any anti-viral claims.

As to further studies. I'd like to see some.

If you have something on anti-bacterial effects I'd like to see it.

Art Carlson

Post by Art Carlson »

MSimon wrote:
Art Carlson wrote:
MSimon wrote: The controlled experiment validates my anecdote. What have you got?

Art,

Vitamin C is useful as an anti-bacterial. That is different from an anti-viral.

I never made (nor did the article) any anti-viral claims.

As to further studies. I'd like to see some.

If you have something on anti-bacterial effects I'd like to see it.
You claims weren't very specific, but I suppose I could have guessed you meant bacterial infections because you mentioned antibiotics. I was thrown off because most of the claims for vitamin C have revolved around the common cold (or cancer). Off the cuff I can't find any other studies of vitamin C as an anti-bacterial agent either. That makes the scientific basis for your claim about as thin as it gets: One study, randomized and controlled with an alternative treatment, but apparently not blinded, 10 years old, 60 subjects. And let's see, those were attacks of Helicobacter pylori infection that you've been having, were they? And how many times have you tried this process? I doubt that I am prescribed antibiotics more than once every five to ten years, so even at my ripe age I couldn't scrap together more than a handful of personal episodes. And of course I would want to use half of those as controls, alternating with the verum to take aging and other factors into account in at least a rudimentary way. And what is the natural variability in the duration of a bacterial infection that would have to be overcome for a statistically significant result? If the effect is robust enough that a (dedicated) individual could reliably verify it, I have trouble imagining that it would have escaped the hoards of scientists and MDs that have been working with vitamin C for many decades. If that's the level of evidence you accept as scientific, then it's no wonder you believe the polywell is going to work. (Hah! Back on topic!)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Art,

Gum infections. About 20 or 30 times. Worked every time.

And it isn't my fault no new studies have been done. However, I will take a bit of credit for the current Polywell studies.

As to believing it will work? I'm not quite that optimistic. I think there is a chance. Maybe a good chance.

And as to the next step - if the physics works - energy delivery? It may be very difficult to get the engineering done to make power production economical.

All I can say at this point is that the risk/reward ratio is favorable.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

I'm to lazy to research it in depth, but the anti-infective properties of vitamin C, despite Linus Pauling's enthusiasm are modest at best. The human body will only hold a small quantity of vitamin C (ascorbic acid- a mild acid), any excess over that is quicky excreted into the urine. The excess in the urine can lower it's pH, and thus, mechanistically at least, inhibit the growth of acid sensitive bacteria and yeast. So, it is sometimes recomended as a suppliment for those with recurrent UTI's. The pH drop is mild, and can be pushed further with other chemicals, but not at the cost and safty of ascorbic acid. I don't know if ascorbic acid will concentrate in othe body fluids- like saliva. If not, rinsing the mouth (topical application) with orange/ cranberry/ tomato... juice would presumable have a similar healing effect (if any). Also, the debridment of wounds (removing dead tissue) can promote the healing process. Again, a weak acid may help in this. The effect of removing the neutrients (dead cells)for the bacteria, and the removal of acumulated toxins makes sense. The effect on virual infections is less obvous, but as an example- Compund W's active ingrediant (similar to Aspirin) is a weak acid.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I'm to lazy to research it in depth, but the anti-infective properties of vitamin C, despite Linus Pauling's enthusiasm are modest at best.
That hasn't been my experience. However, due to genetic variation it may work better in some than others. The fact that only 30% benefited in the study is suggestive.

tombo

Post by tombo »

Note that msimon was taking enough to gag a horse, far more than Linus Pauling's 8-16 grams per day.
All of the controlled studies that I have heard of were done at even lower dosages than Pauling's.
So, it is not too surprising that he gets greater results.

What works for me is garlic.
I was encouraged repeatedly to try it by an engineer coworker, or I would not have tried it.
I pooh poohed it the first several times he mentioned it. But, finally tried it since the risk was nil.
Now if I get a cold, I always notice that I had stopped taking it (tablets) for a while.
If I do get one, garlic toast is a tasty medicine. A teaspoon of crushed garlic on bread & butter then toast it all. Four to eight of them a day usually knocks it down within a day or so. Otherwise they last for weeks.

The other thing that really helps is a Neti Pot for washing out the sinuses. It works best as a preventative (for plumbing reasons). And, my MD says its a good idea. Also salt water gargles.

Sure my data is sparse, as any individual's must be.
But, IMO the large studies are all skewed by the interests of their funding.
Also, by the time their results reach me through the media the credibility is little more than hearsay. (Don't get me going on the accuracy of journalists.)
With these sugetions the benefit/risk ratio is high because of the very low risks involved (unless your mate does not partake garlic).
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

It is kinda odd that there are many non main stream and way less matured means of doing fusion popping up everywhere and getting funding, almost looks like someone in the higher ups hate us. Terrible that Dr B and Dr N had to go through so much just to get a little bit of money, and even with so little money, polywell was still able to get some reasonable results.

The world is watching, many people and I will be really pleased when we have the last laugh.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.