SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: SpaceX News

Post by Skipjack »

Maui wrote:What are you talking about? If the government couldn't do it right, *nobody* can do it right. :roll:
No, that's what they say. I say just the opposite ;)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Btw, anyone else having trouble reaching NSF right now?

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

yes, their forum is down.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Seems back up
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Betruger wrote:Seems back up
Yupp, seems to be working again :)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

polyill

Post by polyill »

Check out EM's twitter... Shitstorm is coming :shock:

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Wow. No joke. And good for McCain. At least someone is on this.

One more example of an insider manipulation scandal. Reminds of the Boeing tanker debacle of last century. I sure hope people go to prison. This stuff needs to end.

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/ind ... 87c8da1e9d
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Stuff = electorate apathy

Of the people, by the people, for the peo.. Look! Something shiny!
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

A lot of the political impact of goodies would be overcome by a combination of ethics, consideration of where the goodies come from, and the result of taking the goodies. But that would take ethics on the part of voters, and thinking, which is, you know, like work.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

And the voters are easily manipulated by the media, who focus on or ignore what they life based upon the political outcome they desire. Especially now with the next generation spending so much less time on world and national news than they do on video games and texting, it can only get worse.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

SpaceX Completes Qualification Testing of SuperDraco Thruster
Thruster to Power Revolutionary Launch Escape System on Dragon Spacecraft

HAWTHORNE, Calif. – Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) announced today that it has completed qualification testing for the SuperDraco thruster, an engine that will power the Dragon spacecraft’s launch escape system and enable the vehicle to land propulsively on Earth or another planet with pinpoint accuracy.

The qualification testing program took place over the last month at SpaceX’s Rocket Development Facility in McGregor, Texas. The program included testing across a variety of conditions including multiple starts, extended firing durations and extreme off-nominal propellant flow and temperatures.

The SuperDraco is an advanced version of the Draco engines currently used by SpaceX’s Dragon spacecraft to maneuver in orbit and during re-entry. SuperDracos will be used on the crew version of the Dragon spacecraft as part of the vehicle’s launch escape system; they will also enable propulsive landing on land. Each SuperDraco produces 16,000 pounds of thrust and can be restarted multiple times if necessary. In addition, the engines have the ability to deep throttle, providing astronauts with precise control and enormous power.

The SuperDraco engine chamber is manufactured using state-of-the-art direct metal laser sintering (DMLS), otherwise known as 3D printing. The chamber is regeneratively cooled and printed in Inconel, a high-performance superalloy that offers both high strength and toughness for increased reliability.

“Through 3D printing, robust and high-performing engine parts can be created at a fraction of the cost and time of traditional manufacturing methods,” said Elon Musk, Chief Designer and CEO. “SpaceX is pushing the boundaries of what additive manufacturing can do in the 21st century, ultimately making our vehicles more efficient, reliable and robust than ever before.”

Unlike previous launch escape systems that were jettisoned after the first few minutes of launch, SpaceX’s launch system is integrated into the Dragon spacecraft. Eight SuperDraco engines built into the side walls of the Dragon spacecraft will produce up to 120,000 pounds of axial thrust to carry astronauts to safety should an emergency occur during launch.

As a result, Dragon will be able to provide astronauts with the unprecedented ability to escape from danger at any point during the ascent trajectory, not just in the first few minutes. In addition, the eight SuperDracos provide redundancy, so that even if one engine fails an escape can still be carried out successfully.

The first flight demonstration of the SuperDraco will be part of the upcoming pad abort test under NASA’s Commercial Crew Integrated Capabilities (CCiCap) initiative. The pad abort will be the first test of SpaceX’s new launch escape system and is currently expected to take place later this year.

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/lIGVi_rMFGw

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

I have wondered if three D printing of very strong structures like steal was practical and deployed. I guess this answers that question.

I have also wondered about the tradoffs of the abort escape rockets on Apollo, etc. It seamed a waste to loft all that hardware and fuel only to jettison it uselessly, except of course for the hopefully rare emergency. The problem I problem Isaw was that the escape acceleration needed to be great and put stresses on crew and ship that were not desired. Otherwise, why not use the escape tower to add some velocity to the spacecraft after second stage separation, and befor jettisoning the spent escape tower. The Space X solution seems to incorporate the best of both situations. Plenty of thrust for rapid stack separation, and multiple engines and throttleability for controlled and less extreme thrust. There is a weight penalty for orbital maneuvering and re entry, but the increased fuel capacity for non emergency use would seem to to overcome this.

The specific impulse (ISP) of the escape rocket/ fuel is the key. I don't know the details, but I suspect the ISP of the Apollo, etc. escape rockets was poor, but the thrust was great. The continued carriage of the escape rocket structure and fuel had little benefit, once it's emergency function window was passed. Better ISP, light weight multipurpose rocket structures that still retain the emergency thrust capabilities changes the picture. I have always wondered why NASA never pursued this. Even the Soyuz spacecraft carries solid(?) rockets throughout the mission in order to ease the final impact with the ground.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Post by 93143 »

Rocketdyne has been looking at selective laser melting for manufacturing RS-25 and J-2X parts. It works great; apparently it saved ~65% of the cost and ~97% of the manufacturing time for the first part they tried it on, and it ended up being a stronger part due to the lack of conventional welds.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It's good to note the Dragon's integrated and fully throttleable engines not only provide escape, but are what makes the Dragon capable of landing on the Moon and Mars.

Musk has been very open about the 3D printing of Inconel in his facilities. I think I posted this vid some months ago. He specifically mentions Inconel at time index 3:08.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNqs_S-zEBY